Plus One

Krill was very interested, if there was one thing he didn't understand about humans, it was their mating rituals; he wasn't sure he really wanted to know about their mating habits, but the process of attracting another human could be interesting. Understanding what went into a human monogamous marriage was shaping up to be rather difficult. From what Krill understood so far, the most complex human process involved a serious set of complicated rituals involving a lot of symbolic traditionalism. These included a specific style of dress only for the couple about to be married and all of their guests as well. This ceremony was to take place at a specific time and place and last for a very specific amount of time. Specific words were supposed to be said, and then afterwards there was supposed to be a massive party which included a very specific type of pastry and very specific types of food and human music. Humans were generally obligated to give each other gifts during this time.

Krill, as it turns out was friends enough with Vir's brother that he was to be one of the "groomsmen." Or one of the specified group of people important to the groom. Vir had been chosen as the best man which seemed to Krill to mean that he was just the favorite groomsman, of which included Krill and the other brothers. However, due to the nature of the wedding women and men had been included on either side, so that count also included Vir's sister, and another woman Krill did not recognize.

Captain Vir burst into the room just then wearing one of the special human outfits, a dark blue suit and mat tie with a peach colored flower at the breast pocket. "Damn dude, you look like shit."

Across the room David made a rude human gesture by raising both his middle fingers, "F*** you, Adam."

"That's incest."

From where she stood, next to David, Vir's sister gave him the evil eye, "Be nice, Adam. He's just nervous."

"Not nervous enough to throw up all over himself, so I don't feel sorry in the slightest." He said walking over to help his brother with his tie.

"Didn't that happen to you once?" David wondered clearly trying to keep his mind off what was going on.

Vir sighed and glanced longingly up at the air, "Airman Mariah Alvarez, I was so nervous I spilled my drink on her and ended up throwing up...... first and last date I ever had."

David laughed easing some of the tension in the room, "Ok, yeah, I'm not that nervous, and I'm sure Jordan is doing just fine."

Vir snorted, "Doing more than fine, though I can't see why he consented to marrying your dumb ass."

"Least I actually managed to get a date." His brother snapped back.

"You better be nice to me, I'm the one giving the toast at dinner tonight, and you don't want me to tell them about the time you-."

"Ok.... Ok, you made your point."

Krill wondered quietly if the humans were always this vicious to each other. Vir insisted that it was a human way of showing affection to each other, but he had a hard time believing it. It just wasn't logical. Why would you intentionally be an ass to someone you like?

Vir finished with his brother and took a step back, "Stop frowning and you might actually look presentable....." He paused, "Are you sure you're ok with Sunny being my plus one?"

David rolled his eyes, "For the last time Adam, I don't mind Sunny. In fact, I like her and she has good taste in music, so YES I'm fine with her coming. Just.... Keep her in back where mom can't see her for the time being."

He chuckled, "Alright, now come on, they're ready for you."

Krill followed the humans out into the sunny afternoon and onto the spreading grassy park before them. Distantly a glittering blue lake sparkled in the light of the sun. It was an almost perfect day, a very slight breeze, just enough to keep cool in the mid-summer heat pushing the grass to the side in slow undulating waves. The guests were all already seated as David took his position at the front with Vir standing to the side. Sunny stood at the back of the group and, to Krill's amusement, she was covered in the same peach-orange flowers that decorated the rest of the venue.