Rainy Night

It's one day before our second term of school commences, this weekend marks seven weeks of being single and three weeks after that awkward hallway incident. I roll over in bed to look at the time, seven, I rub my eyes making sure that I'm reading it correctly. Shit. I am. Since when does this happen, I go to dive back under the covers but instead decide to get up. I walk down into the kitchen to find no one there. I don't know what happens anytime before the afternoon in this house so, I don't really know what to expect. 

I walk into the lounge room and turn on the tv making sure to put the volume all the way down, I lie to myself that's it's so I don't wake up anyone. But really I can't stand the noise of a tv unless you have to strain your ears to hear it. Then I walk back to the kitchen on my tippy toes as the tiles are cold. I grab the bread and put two pieces in the toaster, whilst I wait for it to toast I grab an orange and start to juice it. I can't remember the last time I made myself a good gourmet breakfast.

I grab the butter, peanut butter out of the fridge and a banana. Then I get to work on my toast. Just as I finish up I hear a quiet knock on the door, I slowly approach but slight confusion clouds me as I wonder who it could be. I open the door and the cold air hits my body sending shivers down my spine. The boy standing in front of me looks pale from the cold but shocked, "I- umm, what- why are you here?"

"I didn't think you'd be awake," he says slightly smiling. 

"Me neither." I say dryly, "Kayden, what are you doing here?"

He shuffles his feet, "I just wanted to say that, I don't care if you move on already," I nod my head, is that really all he has to say? "and I don't care who you move on with,"

I hold back a snicker, ""so, the football team is up for grabs?"

"Take your pick," he says putting out his hands. 

"Why did you come here just to tell me that?"

"Because I want you to be happy, and you might think 'but isn't there a bro code?' But as long as you're happy I don't care," Kayden shrugs. 

"You too and Damian is up for grabs," I say giggling, "I'll keep that in mind," he says leaving. 

If I'm being honest I was expecting some sort of explanation but I know that won't ever happen so, I need to stop hoping. I do find it frustrating that he doesn't want to talk about it, as usual. But I'm not going to let it clutter up my thoughts. I do decide to make an executive decision to fire my mental lists from working in my brain and I'm on track.

Liam runs down the stairs, "Going on a date, make your own way to school tomorrow!" he yells at me before rushing out the door. 

He dramatically comes back in, "You're awake?" I laugh at him and push him back out the door, "bye!" I say waving him out. 

I get a text from my mum asking how everything is going, I usually don't see her texts till hours later so I might shock her to death replying this early. 

To Birth giver: Everything is good, shocker I'm awake early! I think I'm home alone until tomorrow morning.

To Offspring: Awake already?! Lucky you, you can have some peace and quiet, I'll be back from my trip early tomorrow. Love Mum.

Liam is out for a date with Stephanie from the café, my dad is out with his friends and my mum is on a business trip. Luckily, I have plans with Maya and Damian because now we can have the house all day and night. 

I finally get a break to eat my breakfast, I decide to sit outside as today the weather isn't too bad. Although the forecast does expect rain later on tonight. 

"Timmy! Hello come here," I say in a weird voice to my Rottweiler, you know that weird voice we all use when talking to our dogs?

"Who's a good boy," I scratch behind his ears which sets of his reflex as he starts tapping his leg up and down.  

"We have the whole house ourselves, come on lets go inside," I say racing him back in. 

I place my plate in the sink before taking a second glance and deciding to do the dishes before my mum gets a chance to stress about it.

Then I climb the stairs and turn into my bedroom, it's awfully dark in here and even though I prefer it like that I can mentally hear my dad telling my to let some light in so, I rip open my blinds. Letting the sun stream in, Timmy runs up to my window and looks outside wagging his tail so, I open my window to let the fresh air flood in. 

-

From Maya: Sorry can't make it tonight, something with family came up.

From Damian: I have to pick my friend up from a bar, they're passed out drunk, sorry I'll have to skip tonight.

Really? Oh well, I guess I'll have to karaoke alone tonight.

"Looks like it's just you and me, bud," I scratch under his mouth, "you like that don't you?"

I'm just about to finish my last piece of homework when the bell rings, "Now who could that be Timmy?" I say looking over at him but he's already down and waiting at the front door.

I look at my phone, no messages, then I peer through the window. I see a tall figure dripping wet. I get a glimpse of his features, and recognize almost all of them. I slowly open the door peeking through as a small gap opens. My jaw drops slightly open as I see him standing there. His jumper sticking firmly to his chest due to the rain. Bloody water dripping down his face, a massive bruise on the side of his face and a swelling lip.

"Fuck," I mutter quietly my dog looks at me with confusion. 

I grab the blanket of off the coach and open the security door, wrapping it around him.