A Talk

I walk through the double doors and enter the empty hallway. My eyes are heavy and I struggle to keep them open. I arrive at my locker and throw my bag inside whilst I unload the rest of my stuff.

Sleep is what you fucking need Alya.

Sleep.

I look down the corridor when I hear tapping heals which reveals one of my teachers walking hastily down the hall. I give a warm smile as they walk past and continue to lock my locker and make my way out and to my usual chairs.

"Hey," I greet Maya as I sit down and swivel around so I am facing her. She greets me with a big smile back.

"When was the last time you checked your phone?" She asks accusingly. Welp she definitely knows I ignored Dylan all weekend.

"I'm just tired and sad and not in the mood," I rub a hand down my face and stare back at Maya.

"Fair enough but he was really worried and you can always talk to him. You know that right? And you can always talk to me," I nod my head I know I can but it's hard to. I always feel like a burden when I express my feelings to other people. Or I just over share and that always ends up in great amounts of regret.

"I know, I know," I huff out but I hold my breath as I feel a few people join our table. One of them being the very boy I'm ignoring.

I look over to him and watch as he tries to keep his gaze away from me. But he can't, he can't help himself as his eyes keep trailing back to me. I smile at him but he barely gives one back.

I slump down a bit in defeat and realise that I really should stop pushing people away. It's just hard so hard to not do it.

"What're we thinking about today? Alya?" That's most definitely gets Dylan's attention as he snaps up to hear what I have to say.

I hesitate before answering. What am I thinking about. The boy I'm front of me no doubt. The way his dark hair falls perfectly on his head. The way his dimples show at the slightest smile. The way his jaw flexes uncontrollably. The way he looks at me.

I know what I'm thinking about.

And I want to tell him what I'm thinking.

But I'm too weak, I need a punch in the gut from Maya.

Because I like him.

I like him so much that he could run me over and stop on my heart a million times and I would be okay with it.

Of course Maya wouldn't let me go back to him after that but it's not the main point. I look over to Maya and nod my head as I talk.

"Maya is right! You're right Maya!" I exclaim and she looks at me raising her eyebrows. She chuckles a bit and continues to tease me.

"What was that I heard?" She cups a hand around her ear and leans into me.

"Tell me again?" I laugh and lightly push her shoulder. Dylan's looking at me with a small smile. And I fell bad so bad that I haven't had the guts to admit it to him yet. But neither has he.

And now that I think of it. I don't even know if he likes me. After all he is the popular guy. He only does hookups. And I'm a fool I really think he likes me. Could I be any more blind? There's no way in heaven he likes me. No way.

"Alya, hey, hello!" Dylan waves a hand in front of me. I snap my head up to meet his pretty eyes.

"Can we talk?" Dylan asks confidently but I can tell it's all a show and really he's a nervous wreck. I nod and stand up from my seat.

"Yeah of course," we make our way towards the path that leads around the whole school.

"What is it?" I ask getting a little impatient we've been walking in silence for a while.

"I want to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"No scratch that I want to tell you something," I nod and smile in amusement. Whatever it is must be eating him alive. I gesture for him to continue. He hesitates and scratches his neck awkwardly.

But then a big smile creeps up his face and I can't help but smile as well. Dylan looks around looking for no one in particular.

"I-" but the first bell rings and all of a sudden noisy students interrupt us. His face drops and he looks at me with a sad smile.

He decides against continuing and dismisses what he wants to say.

And at this moment in time I am stuck in a state of confusion. I have no idea where we stand. I ignore him for days and then he asks to tell me something. In private. Then the bell interrupts us. And I somewhat feel like we are left on an awkward page. I sigh out in disappointment as walk sadly to my locker and grab my stuff for my first class. What a shitty day this already feels like. I slump over to my first class and wait for the teacher to arrive.

"Hey how'd it go? What happened?" Maya smiles at me expectantly.

"Nothing happened." I state sadly and look back into Maya's now sad eyes as well.

"What do you mean nothing?" She asks confusion flooding her bright blue eyes.

"He didn't tell me anything we got interrupted I guess..." I trail of sadly and wave Maya goodbye as she leaves for her classroom.

I mean what am I expecting anyway?