A Date

"Look at you, what's going on?" Maya says suspiciously pointing at me. 

I shrug my shoulders, "not much, not much." No, I haven't told her about Dylan and I yet, why? Because I don't even know where we stand right now. We are two people who like each other and we acknowledge that. Nothing else has been spoken of or discussed. I look around I would say I'm not looking for anyone is particular but we all know what's a lie. I spot his soft eyes which are searching through faces in the corridor. But, as soon as Dylan sees me a smile lights up his face and he almost does a happy dance. Almost. So close. 

Dylan practically runs over to me but slows once he gets within a few feet. 

"Dawson, how are you today?" He asks casually. I look up to him and resist the ever so increasing urge to engulf him in a suffocating hug. Dylan seems to be doing the same as his hand slides up my arm 'accidentally' as it goes to rest on the top of the lockers. 

"I- I am- fine- good," I say coughing slightly, "Mhm," Dylan raises his eyebrows at me cockily whilst girls send death glares my way. 

"I need to steal you for a second, is that alright with you Maya?" 

"Anytime Dylan." Maya looks at me pointedly nudging my elbow. 

I roll my eyes at her and let Dylan lead me away to wherever it is he wants to go. And no we don't have a janitors closet that's what f block is for. 

"Dawson hey hello," I hear Dylan call out from behind me wait- call out from behind me? Oh shit oops. 

"Your thoughts driving you away from me and the world around you, huh?" Dylan crosses his arms over his chest. I nod embarrassingly and turn around to where Dylan is standing. He studies my face for a second. Please if I have something on my face just tell me I can handle it. 

"It's cute when you get lost in your thoughts you do this things where your expression goes blank and your face softens and it's just- I don't know don't listen to me. Sorry," Dylan chuckles nervously and looks from the ground back to me. 

I laugh at his red cheeks, "okay Hale what do you want?"

"I was just thinking well- I have- okay wait give me a second-"

"Wow are you nervous no I must be hearing things," I say sarcastically dropping my bottom jaw open. 

"Dawson?"

"Yes?"

"Have you told-"

"No I have not." I interrupt knowing what he's about to ask. I wonder if he wants people to know? What if he's embarrassed? I mean why would he be? Although he could be getting all those girls behind f block. 

"There you go again, did you hear my question?" Dylan asks softly looking into my eyes. 

"Yes- I mean no, sorry," I say sheepishly looking back at him. He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and rests his hand on my cheek. It's cold against my blushing face and I lean into the touch. I take a deep breath and smile lightly at Dylan. He returns the favour and another girls group passes with just enough death glares to land me six feet under. 

"I want to take you out on a date, what do you say?" I don't know why it surprises me but it does. It seems weird for some reason, I don't picture Dylan as the dating type maybe that's why. He looks at me waiting for an answer. 

"I well, yes of course," I say weakly, "you sound unsure of yourself, what's wrong?" Dylan's voice is full of concern and I feel bad now he probably thinks I don't want to go out with him. Why do I do this to myself?

"No, no, no I do I'm sorry it's just strange I guess," I tilt my head and he returns the look.

"What is?" He drops his hands to mine and holds them tightly. 

"I just- when was the last time you had a relationship?" I blurt out like it's a normal conversation to have in the middle of a school. 

"Well- I- pfft," He says throwing his head to the side trying to think. 

That just makes my brain cloud more with confusion, "have you ever had a relationship?" Well now that was just plain stupid. Of course he has and it's probably a touchy subject. 

"Yes of course I have, hey can we not talk about this now?" Dylan gives me a small smile. 

I shake my head this conversation went one to many places, "yeah sorry- umm next week Wednesday-"

"At 8 I'll pick you up?" I shake my head and smile widely, "sounds like a plan-"

"Sounds like a date," Dylan winks at me and throws an arm around my shoulder as we walk back in to the building. A few stares are thrown at us, what are we in the fifth grade and have never seen two people so close?