Chapter 21

She felt extremely nauseous when she opened the door, slipping out into her garden. She stayed hidden in the darkness for a few seconds, seeing him sitting in the grass. His arms were around his knees and his head was lowered. She stepped into the grass, her bare feet tingling from the sensation. It was warm outside but she could clearly see him trembling. Her heart broke at the sight...she just couldn't ignore it...she had to go and be there for him, no matter how scared she was of getting hurt again. She was moving very slowly without making any noise. She could still turn around and stick with her decision but that wouldn't happen...her heart had made a decision on its own and that was to be there for him. She stepped over the tiny wall that was separating his garden from hers and slowly sat down next to him. She took another deep breath and just pulled him into her arms. That seemed to trigger his emotions because his crying instantly got heavier. She felt his strong arms around her, holding onto her tightly as if he never wanted to let go of her again: "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...I never meant to hurt you...please forgive me...please don't leave again.", he whispered, shaken up by sobs. It was hard for her but she gently started to rub his back to support him a bit: "I...I know you didn't mean to...but you hurt me. You're my best friend and I don't want to lose you, so I'll give you a second chance. But you need to understand that something like this can't happen again..." He interrupted her, his voice hopeful but shaky, millions of tears on his cheeks: "I promise...I promise it won't happen again...I'll do everything to make you forgive me...just please don't leave again." She leaned back against the wall, caressing his back in circular motions: "It's okay, Damiano...I believe you. And I won't leave again." He seemed so broken, burying his face in her shoulder. She felt his hot tears soaking the thin fabric of her pajama shirt. She put her chin onto his head, letting her hand travel up and down his arm, feeling his uneven skin underneath his sleeves. He winced a bit, probably because she had touched fresh wounds but she didn't want to check on them now...at first she wanted to make sure he would calm down a bit. "Don't hold back, Damiano...I know your true feelings. You don't have to hide anything in front of me. Just be who you are and let yourself feel whatever you need to feel.", she spoke in a soothing voice. It sounded horribly cheesy but she needed to tell him that...and it actually worked. He tightened his grip around her as his body tensed up and then everything seemed to wash over him. Every little feeling he had bottled up over the past days or even weeks just came pouring out. "I'm a total fuck up, Vic...I don't know what to do anymore...", his voice was extremely quiet and it was hard to understand as he was sobbing and gasping for air. "Honey...you're not a fuck up...you are stronger than anyone else I know and I will support you as much as I can. You just have to let me...okay?" She didn't know why she had called him honey...it just came naturally in a soothing and comforting way. He nodded, allowing her to soothingly caress a spot on his wrist where he only had a few already healed scars. She was wondering for how long he had already been doing that to himself. He had always seemed normal to her but that didn't add up because the scars she was tenderly touching with her thumb right now felt old. But that was a question for later. "Let's go inside, okay? I think we have some things we need to talk about...and out here isn't the most private place.", she explained and got up, pulling him to his feet as well. She placed her hand on his back, guiding him into his room...it was a very simple gesture but it was meant to show him that she was still by his side. She honestly had no idea what she was doing and if things like that actually helped but she just did what she felt was right. But that was only the start of a very intense journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey ;)

I know it's not that good but I would still love to hear your opinions :)

If you were in her position, would you have accepted his apology? Would you have stayed with him? Or would you have left?

Thank you for reading :)

- Thalia