Chapter 25

An hour had passed since his phone had rang and he still wasn't back. She also had no idea where the heck he had gone, so it wasn't like she could just go and look for him. It was already 4 pm... he should have been back. That couldn't be a good sign. But what if it was nothing? What if she was overreacting and it was just his girlfriend and they were talking for so long because they missed each other? Another thought crossed her mind: If everything was alright with him and Carla, why would he want her to stay with him? Wasn't it weird to sleep in the same bed with another girl when he had a girlfriend? But Carla couldn't possibly have anything to do with his problems, right? She was such a sweet and caring person. Maybe she knew about it and was okay with it...that was the only logical explanation she could find right now.

She returned back inside after her 7th cigarette...she was extremely nervous, now just pacing around in the quite large hotel room. She had called his phone as well but it was useless. She would have to be patient and wait for him, hoping that nothing bad had happened. But what if he had done something stupid? Maybe she should go look for him. But the city they were in was quite big...chances of finding him without any indication of where he was, were close to zero. No, waiting was her only option. She should have secretly followed him. "He's an adult...he can take care of himself.", she tried to reassure herself but she knew that wasn't true. Of course, he was capable of taking care of himself but all she had in front of her eyes was the picture of him crying outside or the one of him sitting on the bathroom floor with his arms slashed open. The worst thing was that she couldn't even go to Ethan or Thomas and talk about it...that would at least distract her a bit but it was more or less useless now. She couldn't stop moving, constantly walking along the walls, counting the seconds. And with every minute that passed her nervousness grew bigger and her worries began to eat her up.

More time passed, it was almost 6 now and she was almost certain that he was dead. Yes, that sounded dramatic, but nobody could honestly take that long for a phone call. She grabbed her stuff, getting ready to look for him but just as she was about to leave, the door opened and he stepped into the room. She didn't even have to look at him properly to see that he was completely broken down. "Oh god, I was so worried...what happened?", she asked, looking him up and down to see if he had any obvious injuries. He walked towards the bathroom: "Nothing...everything's fine." She shook her head...she wouldn't let him get away with a cheap lie like that: "Don't you dare walk away now, Damiano...we need to talk about this." He didn't even turn to look at her: "There's nothing to talk about...I just want to take a shower." Should she just let him? No...she knew what he was going to do in there, so she closed the door before he could go inside: "Look at me...", she demanded but he didn't. "What the hell happened? Who were you talking to?", she asked, getting closer to him. "Nobody...I said I'm fine." She was getting ready to hug him because he probably really needed the comfort but was startled, backing away when he tried to push her again. "DAMIANO STOP!", she yelled and tried to get closer again...she wouldn't just leave like last time. He was throwing his fists at her, as if he was trying to fight her off but she managed to block them, holding his fists in her hands to calm him down: "Stop...Damiano, look at me. Take deep breaths...it's alright." She couldn't believe how calm she sounded because her heart was pounding so heavily, she could feel it in her ears. His big dark eyes were filled with tears now, and finally, she also noticed the faded streaks on his cheeks. He had cried before returning as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey ;)

So, what do you think? Where was he for such a long time? Could it possibly be more than just phone calls? And if so, what could his secret be? Let me know about your theories in the comments :)

Thanks for reading.

- Thalia