Chapter 26

She couldn't stand his sad puppy eyes...her heart just couldn't handle that sight. "What happened, Angel?", her voice was soft and the nickname just came out naturally. She wasn't scared of being pushed away anymore...his eyes told her that he wasn't going to. "Nothing...", his voice broke, making the word barely understandable. "I know that's not true...", her own voice wasn't more than a whisper anymore as she pulled him into a strong but gentle hug. He just let her, reluctantly holding onto her. It was weird but she could tell that something had happened. The way his body wasn't able to relax made that very clear. He was trembling a bit, so she guided him to the bed, sitting down with him and embracing him again. "I...I'm sorry...", his voice was so broken and shaken up, it was almost unbearable to listen to but she just took a deep breath and began soothing him again: "No, it's okay. I know you would never hurt me on purpose...just try to take deep breaths and relax a bit." He was a mess, so clearly something really bad had happened during that phone call but he didn't seem willing to tell her about it. She decided it would be better to not force him, so she leaned back into the pillows, holding him close. It was fairly obvious that nothing was easy for him right now, so she thought the best thing to do now was just give him as much love and support as possible. He was laying next to her, his head resting on her shoulder as she gently played with his soft brown hair. From time to time, she wiped away his tears with her fingers as he seemed too shaken up to even do that himself. But not a single word was spoken...it was a comforting and calm silence. She felt extremely guilty for not noticing any of this earlier...it must've been horrible for him to go through that all alone.

That night was exhausting for both of them. He seemed to have nightmares and she was constantly trying to be there for him without making it awkward. That wasn't that easy though, so she kinda just caressed his back or brushed through his hair from time to time, showing him that she was still there if he needed comfort or a hug or something. Those god damn phone calls...if only she knew who he was talking to...and even more important, what they were talking about. Maybe she should follow him next time...yeah, that would be the only way for her to find out. "Vic?", she immediately turned her attention towards him. He was now facing her...she could only see his silhouette. "What is it, angel?", once again she used that nickname and instantly blushed. Why was she calling him that? "Please don't leave me...", he sounded so sad and broken, it broke her heart but at the same time she was caught by surprise. Why would he say that? "Of course, not...why would you even think that?", she asked in a quiet tone, instinctively placing her hand on his hand, caressing his skin. "I...I don't know...because it's annoying to have to take care of me...or because I disgust you." That truly shocked her...had he really lost that much confidence? "I would never leave you, angel...you are not a burden or annoying or something...you're my best friend and I want to be there for you...", again, the nickname had come through, though she had no clue why. Then, she slowly continued speaking, hoping to be able to convince him: "You don't disgust me...you could never. I don't know why those things are happening but your scars tell a story...YOUR story. Every single one of them shows how strong you are...and you can be proud of that. Now, I'm not saying it's the right way of coping but it is definitely nothing disgusting or to be ashamed of." Yes, at first she had been quite disgusted but more because of how deep and infected they had looked than the fact that he was hurting himself. Now, sadly enough she was already used to it and she would never let him fight alone. She was already committed to this now and there was no way she was just going to quit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey ;)

This one is quite cute, I think but the drama and real pain will soon come into the picture.

What do you think of their relationship so far? Is it just friendship or are there already lingering feelings? And what do you think about that last conversation? Were her words helpful or were they just cheesy? Let me know in the comments :)

Thanks for reading.

- Thalia