Chapter 37

It took her a minute to gain her voice again: "Does Thomas know?" Ethan shook his head while lighting a cigarette: "No...he doesn't pay that much attention. And that's good because as much as I like him, he is unpredictable and I don't know how he would act around him if he knew." She didn't know what to say anymore so she just kept quiet. She wanted to be hugged while telling him everything that was going on...but she would rather die than betray Damiano's trust like that. He spoke up again: "Look...I get it, Vic. He trusts you and I won't ask you to tell me what his issues are because that wouldn't be fair. Neither for you, nor for him. But I want you to know that if anything happens...anything really bad, I mean, you can count on me. It must be hard on you too, constantly being there for him. But believe me, you're helping him a lot." It was as if he could see right through her...just like that. She shook her head, looking at him: "How do you know, Ethan? I have no idea what I'm doing..." He came a bit closer, wrapping an arm around her shoulders: "Because I can see it, Vic. The way he's looking at you for help...how he is constantly around you. He opens up to you...he chose you to be the one to help him. That's worth a lot. He never cries in front of anyone. You know that...but with you it's different. He lets himself be vulnerable because he knows that you won't leave. Because he knows that you will always find the right thing to do. Even if you don't realize it, you know exactly what he needs. When you two are together it just comes naturally for both you and him. Don't ever doubt yourself, Victoria...you are doing a great job. And if anything ever does go wrong, I will be there to help. You may not notice that right away but I am always watching over you guys." That almost made her tear up and she hugged him tightly. How was it that this guy always found the right words for every situation? He was so wise for his age he really did feel like a mother sometimes. And she had really needed that conversation.

Later when she returned, Damiano wasn't in bed anymore. Some people would say she was overreacting but she immediately went into panic mode. "Damiano? Damiano, where are you?", she went to the bathroom door, knocking. A few seconds later she heard a clicking noise and the door opened. He didn't look into her eyes but she immediately knew he had done it again. He looked like he was crying but holding it back to not make her see. "Fuck, Damiano...you scared the shit out of me." She was just relieved to see he was still alive. Yes, that sounded dramatic but how was she supposed to be sure that he wouldn't cut too deep at one point? "I'm sorry...I...I thought you left...like...forever.", he whispered, still avoiding her eyes. His words pierced through her heart like a million needles. How had she been so stupid? Of course, it hadn't been a good idea to just leave without telling him. She pulled him into a warm hug, gently placing a kiss on his shoulder: "I'm sorry, Angel. I'm so sorry. I would never leave...I was just out for a walk. I promise, next time I'll tell you before leaving.", she apologized, caressing his lower back. He shook his head, his hands resting on her hips: "No...no, you are allowed to leave. You don't have to tell me whenever you go somewhere. That's childish, I overreacted..." Her fingers travelled over the fabric of his soft white shirt, feeling the warmth of his skin underneath: "It's not childish. Those are emotions you probably can't control at the moment and that is absolutely okay. You went through things that nobody should ever have to go through, so it's natural to be a bit more sensitive about certain things.", she assured him. Sometimes she was surprised how convincing she sounded when in reality she had no clue what she was talking about. But it probably really was like Ethan had said: She may not always realize it but she somehow always knew what he needed. He had elected her to be his guardian. So to speak, she was the chosen one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey ;)

First of all, I have decided to make my chapters a bit longer, starting from the next one :) I am pretty motivated these days, so that will work out, hopefully. 

Secondly, I really love your comments, so let me know what you think of this chapter. Is Ethan right? Does she really somehow know what's good for him or is she just really really good at improvising? Do you think Damiano overreacted or is it normal to have separation anxiety after the things he has gone through? Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for reading.

- Thalia