05. this secret

Jongseong and Eun byul sat on a bench as the school day progressed

Jongseong and Eun byul sat on a bench as the school day progressed. Of course, cutting class had its consequences, but Jongseong was stunned and terrified to know what Eun byul had gone through.

"I'm so pathetic," Eun byul scoffed as light tears rolled down her cheeks, "It's really all my fault she died. If I hadn't pressured or verbally abused Yeseo, then maybe she wouldn't have died. But all I cared for was my reputation in the music world and how everyone thought I was the best violinist. My pride took over myself more than anything."

"No, don't say that," Jongseong exclaimed, trying to comfort her, "You didn't know better and you were under a lot of pressure too."

"No, Jongseong," she responded, "I'm so pathetic because even though everyone knew about her death, I went to the competition the next day to perform. My mom got me an accompanist last minute and I tried to play. But as soon as I got to the second half of Liebesleid, I suddenly felt like I was sinking and froze on stage. I ran away to the hallway and I saw Yeseo's mom. She slapped me across the face which I deserved. And I remember her exact words being, 'You rotten bitch! You tormented my daughter to the point she killed herself. You're no different than a murderer!' I was absolutely petrified and I don't know what my stupid brain was thinking, going to perform like that. Before her funeral was held we moved away... like I was even invited. That's why we moved here and why no one knows anything about me. For a period of time, I was in a state of depression and trauma. I'm still getting over it, but at the same time, it feels impossible. It's just so hard to move on and it's painful."

Jongseong stayed quiet which was a first. But never in his life was he expecting something so tragic coming from a girl he liked for so long.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but-"

"Eun byul, it's fine that you didn't tell me. I'm sure you really didn't want anyone to know, especially since you went through a lot at a young age," he said and stood up, "I think we should head back to class now. We're going to get in trouble if we stay any longer."

"Yeah... but Jongseong," Eun byul exclaimed.

"What is it?"

"I'm begging you, please, don't tell anyone. Not a single soul. My parents don't even like telling one. Please," Eun byul sighed, putting her head down.

"Byulie, I promise you, I won't tell anyone. Just trust me."

Jongseong's voice sounded somewhat more distant and had a tone of fear. Eun byul was sure he would be shocked but didn't know what to expect from him. After all, he was a bubbly, happy, guy who normally never let negative emotions get to him.

**

After school...

"Yah, Eun byul," her mother called from the kitchen, "Come down and help me cook dinner. We have guests coming over at 7:40 pm."

"What? Why are we inviting people over?" she questioned from the top of the stairs.

"Your dad's colleague who just moved here a few days ago. He apparently got moved to the same law firm here and is just settling. He has a son your age and a daughter in her third year of middle school."

"Oh, okay," Eun byul sighed, "I'll be down."

Going down the stairs, she walked to the kitchen, assisting her mother as she cut the vegetables and stir-fried the beef. The aromas of sesame oil, garlic, and soy sauce infiltrated the house creating a pleasant savory fragrance. The two continued to cook as they fileted the fluke, boiled the vermicelli noodles, and made the egg drop soup. A feast was to be made tonight.

"Eun byul, I'm almost done with dinner so you can go upstairs to shower and change into something nice," her mother said.

Heeding her mom's words, Eun byul changed from her oversized grey sweatpants and white t-shirt, let her body soak in the nice hot water, and changed into a pair of mom jeans and a lavender blouse. Just as her mom cleaned herself up and changed into a simple floral dress, the doorbell rang, echoing throughout the house. Exiting his office, Eun byul's father opened the door to greet his guests. As soon as the door opened, Eun byul's eyes opened wide to see the familiar face.

"Lee Heeseung? What is he doing here?"