28. and so it begins

4 days passed quickly and before she knew it, Eun byul was in the waiting room preparing to perform her three pieces for the preliminary round

4 days passed quickly and before she knew it, Eun byul was in the waiting room preparing to perform her three pieces for the preliminary round. It would be 3 hours before it was her turn. She was sitting in a chair, had her violin clutched tightly around her fingers, head down, and was nervously tapping her foot on the ground.

"Jesus, Eun byul," Heeseung quickly jogged over to her with a bottle of water in his hands, "You left so early I didn't even know you left the apartment. I was looking for you everywhere. The coordinators were trying to not let me near the backstage. Are you okay?"

She looked up at him with tears about to pour out of her eyes. Her usual neat hair was a disheveled mess, her bags were so dark it made her face look ghostly, and her lips were white.

"I can't do this. Heeseung, I can't do this," her voice trembled.

He shook his head. "Come, let's go to your dressing room," Heeseung said calmly, sticking his hand out.

She took his hand, her palm being all clammy. Eun byul was barely able to walk straight as Heeseung had to hoist her up so she wouldn't fall. They made their way to the vacant dressing room and he locked the door, seating Eun byul on a velvet loveseat.

"What's going on?" he tilted his head, opening the water to Eun byul and taking her violin, "You look horrible. Did you even sleep last night?"

She shook her head.

"You look sick right now. Drink the water."

Eun byul listened to his words as she took a small sip of the water. She sat on the couch in a daze.

"I'm scared," she spoke softly.

"I know," he exclaimed, taking a seat next to her, "But I know you can do this. This is just the initial fear you have before you display your talent."

"Why do you want me to do this?" she muttered, "How did I wind up in this trap?"

"It's not a trap," Heeseung whispered, "I just didn't want a star to lose its spark. You're the one who changed my life so I want to change yours too. So have faith in yourself, hm?"

She nodded her head.

"Now, shall we get you ready again?" he gave her a smile.

Heeseung took her makeup bag and hairbrush from her main backpack and began gently fixing up Eun byul's messy hair. Her hair became silky and neat again as he styled it simply for her. He tucked the loose strands around her ears and put bobby pins to hold back her long curtain bangs. He then took the concealer out of her makeup bag and applied it under her eye bags, brightening her face, and making Eun byul look alive again. Taking the coral blush and coffee-toned eyeshadow palette, Heeseung enhanced the features of her face. Lastly, he took out a rosy lip tint and applied it on her lips, part of his hand holding up her chin and his thumb holding her lips slightly agape.

"There, you look much better."

Heeseung put his phone in selfie mode and showed Eun byul her reflection. She was honestly shocked at how good Heeseung's makeup skills were. Her face suddenly seemed alive.

"How?" she questioned softly, admiring and turning her head to the reflection of the phone.

"Having a little sister. She practically forced me to learn because our mom was so busy with work," he exclaimed.

"It's impressive," she murmured.

"How do you feel now? Does the makeup give you a boost of confidence?"

"I guess," Eun byul sighed, her shoulders drooping and in a slouched posture.

"Eun byul, posture," Heeseung said while poking his finger between her shoulder blades, "Come on, let's go backstage."

**

There were only 2 people left before Eun byul would go on stage. She felt an overwhelming amount of anxiety, but somehow she didn't feel as bad as before. Eun byul felt a bit calmer to some degree because Heeseung was right next to her. He had his arm wrapped around her shoulder as she leaned into him.

"Cha Eun byul," one of the stage directors called, "Get ready to go backstage in five minutes."

She looked up at Heeseung and he stared into her soft eyes. He gave her a warm smile, assuring her that she was going to be just fine.

"Eun byul, no matter what happens at prelims, everything is going to be just fine. If you don't pass then don't worry about a thing. No one is judging you. But I know you're going to do amazing because that's who you are. I want you to try your best, but if you feel nervous and like you can't perform anymore, then you can walk off. However, if you finish the performance, I know you're going to feel better about yourself and walk with confidence. So fighting!" He exclaimed, emphasizing the "fighting."

Eun byul nodded her head as Heeseung gave her another hug. She felt his lips gently kiss the top of her head. She felt some confusion about the kiss and her cheeks turning a little rosy, but she tried to rub it off. After leaving Heeseung's embrace, she walked to the entrance of the stage. She saw one of the players bowing as the end of his piece echoed throughout the theatre. There was loud applause and the stage lights shone brightly on him. Eun byul could hear her heart pounding as she was finally called up to the stage.

"Let's just get this over with."