19. committment

Eun byul sat on the ground, smoking her cigarette, thinking hard about how to convince Heeseung she was serious about playing

Eun byul sat on the ground, smoking her cigarette, thinking hard about how to convince Heeseung she was serious about playing. If anything, he always had hope in her, but for the first time, Eun byul thought he would bail on her. Her thoughts wandered as the sun slowly went down.

"Should I formally tell him that I want to play with him? Or should I just plead and say I'm going to be committed?" she thought with stress, "What am I going to do? I don't want to fail him... or myself."

As her cigarette finally burned out and turned to a bud, a spontaneous idea arose. Eun byul sighed heavily as she picked herself up, rubbed the cigarette's ashes on the window sill, and went to her violin case. Her real violin.

Cautiously, she unbuckled the case and took out her once most prized possession. Eun byul pulled her phone out of her pocket and speed dialed Heeseung.

**

Heeseung sat at his desk scrolling through lists of sheet music on his laptop. That's when he felt his phone vibrate in his jean pockets. He took his phone out his pocket and smirked when he saw the caller. Answering the call, he was cut off by the sound of a familiar melody. He smirked and continued to listen to Eun byul play until she was finished.

"Saint-Säens Violin Concerto No. 3, huh?" he questioned Eun byul over the phone, "I'm quite impressed."

"I wanted to show you that I am capable of playing with you," she said firmly, "I've made up my mind. I'm not going to back out of the competition even if I'm terrified. Heeseung, I'm serious about playing with you. I will stick through the competition all the way to the end."

"That's great to hear. Let's start tomorrow."

**

Satisfied with her performance, Eun byul hung up the phone with a smile. She slid down and rested her head against the wall. After so long, this was the first time she felt genuinely proud of herself. She was going to compete once again.

She suddenly felt her phone buzz and a text message notification popped up. It was from Jongseong:

Jongseong: Byulie! The swim team recently passed the semifinals for nationals! We're heading for Seoul to compete for finals in 2 weeks

Eun byul: Really? That's amazing, Jongseong. I'm so proud of you

Jongseong: I know this may sound a little crazy, but would you be willing to come to Seoul to watch us compete? You don't have to if you're busy. I know how hectic your schedule is with practicing

Eun byul stared at the screen not sure how she would want to respond.

Eun byul: I'll have to ask, but even if I'm not there, just know you should be really proud of how far you came