39. one full heart

Eunmi was the second contestant to play. Her final piece was Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 99 by Dmitri Shostakovich. The sound of her violin changed after hearing Eun byul play. She had played sympathetic in a way but played as if she was on fire and with perfection. Eunmi had played genuinely.

Eunmi had drowned her talent in pity as she always felt like she was in Eun byul's shadow despite being the oldest. She yearned to be better than her. No matter how hard she tried, it felt impossible as Eun byul won every domestic and international competition possible. She was envious of her sister, but when Yeseo died, she tried to take Eun byul's situation to her advantage. She had some successes but also more failures than she could've imagined. The feeling wasn't right and something would always go wrong. Eunmi had told herself that the Seoul Nation Music Competition was going to be her last competition to win before she would give up her competition career for good, but Eun byul's entry changed everything. Eun byul had driven her mad and never felt more jealous in her life until she heard how Eun byul played with Heeseung. Eun byul finally sounded happy in her music and had a true passion for it. Eunmi so desired to feel the same way, but she was close to giving up.

After her pathetic semi-final performance, Eun byul challenged Eunmi once more, igniting the fire Eunmi lost. On the bright stage where stars belong, Eunmi played out her true feelings, and for the first time in a long time, she finally shone on stage, reaching her full potential.

Through her music, Eun byul heard Eunmi's loneliness and anger, but her playing soon turned soft and showed how she was ready to change and move on from the past. Eunmi would be her own person.

From the screens of the TV, Eun byul was grinning widely, "Welcome back, unnie."

Heeseung stood next to Eun byul, smiling at her.

"Things are finally starting to change for the better, right?" he exclaimed.

Eun byul nodded, "I'm happy she's finally finding herself. I hope everything will be better once the competition ends."

**

With Kang Taehyun's final performance, the Seoul National Music Competition had come to an end and the judges were analyzing to make final results. Eun byul was satisfied with her performance. Despite her little slip-up, she was able to get back on track with the help of Heeseung. He had shown her that she could conquer the obstacles that were put in her way.

While the final contestants were worried about the final scores, Eun byul sat in peace with Heeseung as they waited for the host to call them back.

"Heeseung, thank you for everything," she smiled and then engulfed him in a warm hug.

"No, I should thank you for encouraging me to continue playing and finishing what we started," he whispered, hugging her back, "You've really opened my eyes."

"Whatever the results are, I'm happy. I'm happy because I've truly played from my heart and all my burdens seemed to be lifted from my shoulders. I feel like I'm able to lift my head up high and finally look up at the sky. I'm forever grateful because we did this together."

Heeseung gently cupped the side of her cheek and kissed her lips softly. "Eun byul, you're truly an amazing person. I love you."

She pecked his lips back. "I love you too, Heeseung."

**

The final results of the competition were finally announced hours later. Each contestant stood on the bright stage for the last time, but they were all holding bouquets of flowers, certificates, and shiny trophies. Eunmi had finally beat her sister and won first place. Taehyun was second with a superb performance. Eun byul was third which the audience thought was an outrage. Though her performance wasn't perfect, they believed she deserved better than last. However, Eun byul was satisfied because she had played from her heart.