30. nerve sparks

"Okay, honestly Heeseung, I knew I was going to get a low score, but I wasn't anticipating 23rd place and barely passing

"Okay, honestly Heeseung, I knew I was going to get a low score, but I wasn't anticipating 23rd place and barely passing. It's a little surprising. I thought I would get maybe an 86 or 87, but 85 is ridiculous," Eun byul puffed walking towards the exit of the concert hall.

"Hey, don't worry about it. It's only a number. And tonight they'll send a detailed rubric of why you got your score," Heeseung exclaimed comfortingly, wrapping his arm around her shoulder, rubbing reassuringly, "Besides, I'll be with you for the other rounds."

Eun byul gave him a warm smile and nodded as they walked out of the revolving doors of the concert hall. Coincidentally on their way out, Eun byul's eyes fell upon a familiar face: Eunmi.

"Your performance was something else, Eun byul," Eunmi scoffed, "With that performance, you should've been out of the prelims. You were nowhere near close to your best when you were with Yeseo."

"Ignore her," Heeseung whispered.

Eun byul shook her head and walked towards her sister. "Now, you don't act all cocky just because you got first place. You have no idea what's coming," she gritted through her teeth.

"How scary," Eunmi looked at her unamused, raising her eyebrows, "A person like you shouldn't even be here. Mom and dad babied a criminal. You are a criminal. A murderer."

Eun byul felt a lump in her throat, but then took a deep breath and collected herself.

"Just like every year we competed together, you'll always be 'miss second place,'" Eun byul gave her a menacing smirk, "And you wonder why mom and dad never paid attention to you. It's because I have a gift. Just you wait, I'm going to win this whole thing again."

Eunmi clenched her fists together, giving Eun byul a fiery glare. The two sisters stared each other down before they were interrupted by a tall young man, with light porcelain skin, and soft dimples.

"Eunmi, what are you doing?" he sighed exasperated, "I didn't know you left the building. You should've texted me before I searched the whole concert hall."

The young man looked at the vicinity and could sense that there was clearly something wrong. He looked at Eunmi and then at Eun byul.

"Who might you be?" he questioned, looking at Eun byul.

"Cha Eun byul. And who are you?" she questioned, raising her eyebrow.

Heeseung stepped next to Eun byul. "Choi Soobin, long time no see. How are you?" He asked, sticking his hand out.

Soobin gave him a smile and shook his hand. "I didn't expect to see you here? Did you come to watch the competition?"

Heeseung shook his head, giving him a little smirk, "I'm taking a break. I'm Eun byul's accompanist. I didn't know you were an accompanist either."

Soobin looked away from Heeseung's gaze, a frown forming on his face.

"Anyways, Eun byul and I are going to leave. Good luck in round I. We'll see you in 3 days," there was a tinge of taunting in Heeseung's voice. He took Eun byul's hand and they quickly walked away from the scowling duo.