06. you

"Hi Mr

"Hi Mr. Cha," the man exclaimed, "Thank you so much for inviting my family over for dinner tonight!"

"Mr. Lee, so good to see you," her father exclaimed, "I'm happy you moved to the neighborhood. This must be your family right?"

"Ah yes," Mr. Lee responded, "This is my wife, my second son, and my daughter. My eldest son is away at college."

"Oh so is my daughter," Mrs. Cha exclaimed, "She's majoring in music theory and playing competitively."

"Wonderful to hear," Mr. Lee responded, "Our oldest is studying econ."

"Hello, my name is Lee Jiyeon," the woman smiled.

"Lee Haewon," the girl said.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Cha, I'm Lee Heeseung."

"Very nice to meet all of you. This is my wife Cha Mirae and my daughter Cha Eun byul," Mr. Cha exclaimed.

Mirae and Eun byul bowed to their guests as Eun byul eyed Heeseung whom gave her a smirk of delight.

"Pleasure to meet your family," Mr. Lee responded.

The dinner went well as the families connected and laughed about the good old day.

"So Heeseung," Mr. Cha began, "I hear you're in the same grade as my Eun byul, is that right?"

"Yes sir," Heeseung replied politely, "We're in the same class as well."

"Oh great to hear," he exclaimed, "It seems that you two can be friends. Also, your father told me you're a pianist."

"Oh, yeah," he chuckled sheepishly, "I haven't entered a competition for a while now, but I really do enjoy playing. Competing in Poland and France was the most exciting. The other pianists are amazing and highly skilled."

"Oh wonderful," Mr. Cha smiled, "Back in the 80s and 90s, my wife, Mirae, was a competitive pianist. I remember traveling to see her at her competitions all over the world. They were truly the best times. Maybe one of these days, we can hear you play."

"I would love to play for your family."

Dinner ended well and the parents continued their lively conversation. Just as the kids were excused from the table to hang out, Eun byul attempted to rush and hide in her bedroom. However, Heeseung caught her before she could disappear.

"Eun byul," he exclaimed, "Can we talk?"

She sighed in frustration but agreed. "What exactly do you want to talk about? There isn't anything to discuss."

"About the festival-"

"We're still going on about that?" she questioned, irritated while cutting him off, "I didn't even give you an answer, but you're making me play. Also, what are the chances of you being my neighbor who lives a few houses down and our dad's working together?! This absolutely absurd."

"Eun byul listen," Heeseung exclaimed, trying to calm the frazzled girl, "I didn't even know you were my neighbor either. But I really do want to talk about the festival. I know you barely know me, but I want us to play together so badly."

"Why are you so desperate to play with me?" she groaned, "I told you as much as I want to play, I can't. It's been two years and I haven't touched the violin once. Plus, I don't want to suffer on stage."

"As ridiculous as it sounds, it's always been my dream to play with you. Ever since you debuted at the age of 8, I went to see you perform because you two were the spontaneous duo. After seeing you, I knew I wanted to play the piano and be your accompanist."

"Well, that's kind of pathetic," Eun byul muttered, "Why would you want to play piano because of me?"

"Because you inspired me! Is that so hard to believe?" Heeseung questioned in disbelief, "Your amazing achievements and talent have made me want to play. I want to play and feel the excitement with you."

"Heeseung you don't understand-"

"No, Eun byul, you're just scared because you don't want to repeat the past again. I can guarantee if I play with you, everything is going to be just fine. So, please, play with me. At least think about it."

There was an awkward silence as the laughs from their parents could be heard miles away. Lee Heeseung certainly had a way with his words.

She let out a heavy sigh, "Fine. I'll do it. I'll play with you, Lee Heeseung."