I Have Spanish Class With A Pro

Today was my first day of school. The mere thought of it made me feel extremely anxious and I just wanted to curl up into a ball and disappear. Suffice it to say, the day wasn't off to a great start.

"Te echo de menos todos los días." (I miss you every day.) I mumbled to myself, feeling a throb in my chest, akin to heartburn, but alas, not one to go away as quickly.

"Out with the old, in with the new!" I exclaimed with forced enthusiasm, my lips pressed together in a grim line. I adjusted my ripped jeans and put on a thin, long-sleeved forest green shirt. Before grabbing my backpack, I spotted a worn-out brown leather jacket on my bed. It used to belong to Trishton. I delicately put it on and lifted the collar to my nose, taking in the familiar aroma of fresh pinewood and firewood smoke.

I walked down the stairs feeling a bit less happy than usual. This morning, I woke up feeling grumpy. While taking a shower, I accidentally turned Charlie's water faucet the wrong way and ended up getting hit with freezing water. Then, while leaving the small bathroom, I accidentally hit myself in the eye with the door. I didn't look in the mirror afterwards so I wouldn't see any potential injuries. But, as I came downstairs, it was evidently now very pleasing to the eye.

"What happened Caroline?" asked Charlie, his 'Best Dad in the Town' mug halfway to his mustached lips. His caterpillar eyebrows were furrowed suspiciously. I was entertained by the thought he found my black eye suspicious, I hadn't gotten into a midnight massacre with a ninja.

I rolled my eyes, opening a cabinet and pulling a mug out, "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the casual fight I got into with the bear next door." I said dryly. He blinked, then turned back to reading the paper. It was probably normal for him for his older daughter to come back with clumsily resulting injuries, so why not his younger one too?

"What happened Caroline?" asked Bella as she came down the stairs. I sighed, honestly! One of the main reasons I didn't have conversations I deemed with people to be stupid was because I usually had to repeat things several times! And it was highly annoying on a whole new level! It made me want to smash my head against a wall several times while screaming on the inside. It probably sounds like an over-exaggeration, but that really is how I feel.

"I defended our home from a burglar," I told her.

"I thought it was a bear fight?" said Charlie with a small cheeky smile. I quickly popped four pieces of toast in the toaster and Isabella jumped to my high amusement when they appeared a minute after of slow roasting.

I buttered them and began to scarf down my first one when Charlie leaned over the table and took one, taking a massive bite out of my toast. I stared at him with an indignant look and he seemed to realize his mistake.

"Er, sorry. Didn't think you were going to eat all that," he said. I blinked with an 'unbelievable these people!' expression and he uneasily looked back at his paper.