I Smell Burnt Sugar and Cleaning Chemicals

I love being part of the pack. It's like having a huge family that can read your mind when you turn into a huge-ass wolf. It's awesome! Today, Embry and I were wrestling in our wolf form (And I was totally winning!) when I picked up the disgusting stench of burnt sugar and cleaning alcohol. I immediately stopped fighting with Embry and howled loudly, letting everyone know something was happening. Sure enough not even two minutes later, Sam, Jared, and Paul shifted.

What is it Ro? Asked Sam. Everyone seemed to call me that now.

I smell a vampire! I practically shouted. Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, and I leaped into action. Jared had the best nose and tracked the scent towards the border of Forks. We would have to cross the treaty line but since the Cullens weren't here there should be no problem. I had the best eyesight and saw the four vampires right away.

The vampires completely ruined French people for me because I could've never expected them to be terrorizing a little girl. The four Frenchie vampires took notice of us too late as I leaped onto a blond-haired one and tore into her. I severed her arms and head in under three minutes.

Ro! Move the child away from the fight!

  I shifted back and grabbed the girl, holding her in my arms.

"Can you close your eyes for me pretty please?" I asked with a disarming smile. She did so and I covered her ears, moving away from the fight. I watched Paul bite a male's head off while Jared and Embry worked together to kill another woman. Sam was taking on the biggest one by himself.

I put the girl down, bending to her eye level, and gave her a kind smile.

"Hey honey, could you stay right here for me? Don't turn around though, okay?" I asked. She nodded, her red curls bouncing all over. I shifted again away from the girl and grabbed the last male vampire's leg in my mouth, pulling it off with a cracking granite sound. It gave Sam the opportunity he needed and crushed the vampire's head.

I shifted back while the boys headed towards the forest to change. I pulled a lighter out of my pocket and lit the remains on fire, smoke filling the air. I picked the girl up again in my arms and checked over her to make sure she was okay.

"I'm Ro. What's your name?" I asked.

"I'm Lily," she said proudly. "And I'm this many old!" she held up four fingers and I gasped.

"Wow! That's so exciting!" I exclaimed. I was good with children. 

"How old are you?" questioned Lily as if it was the most important question ever. I pretended to look aghast.

"I don't have enough fingers!" I whispered in her ear. She gasped, looking horrified. I took on a sneaky look.

"But, my friend over there does!" 

She swiveled her head around so fast I had to duck from the oncoming red ringlets as she looked at the four boys.

"Are those your friends?" she asked. I knew the boys had heard the entire conversation since Paul and Embry were snickering slightly.

"Yep!" Sam made his way over to us, of course with no shirt. I was wearing my short jean shorts and a green tank top like I had been before I shifted.

"Sam, this is Lily and she's four years old!" I said excitedly for Lily. She nodded vigorously, confirming my information. Sam bent down to her eye level and gave her a nice smile.

"Hi, Lily. Do you know where you live?" he asked with a gentle voice. She nodded and pointed towards a blue, two-story house across the street. "Okay,"

"The boys and I will watch from here. Will you take her back?" asked Sam, standing up. 

"Yeah," Sam knelt down again and gave her a silly face.

"Hey, Lily. Did you see those wolves?" he asked. Lily nodded again. "Well, that's our secret, okay?" She gasped and covered her mouth.

"I've never had a secret before!" she whispered. Sam widened his eyes.

"Really? Well, you have one now!" he said, smiling. Lily giggled and said goodbye to everyone while I took her across to the house. I knocked on the door and a middle-aged woman met me at the door.

"Hello," she said, wiping her hands on a dishtowel.

"Hello, ma'am. I brought your daughter back because she was wandering across the street and almost headed into the forest," I said, pointing to where I'd found her and where the rest of the pack was waiting patiently. Paul and Embry just about fell over from laughter while I shot them a glare.

"Oh my goodness! Is she okay?" the woman inquired as Lily ran into the house, laughing the whole time and whispering about her secret.

"Yes ma'am. I found her before she reached the forest," 

"Thank you so much. I don't know what I'd do if one of those wild animals got her," I grinned, but for a whole other reason. The pack was supposedly the 'wild animals' in the forest and it brought me laughter to no end. "Aren't you Chief Swan's daughter?" she asked. I nodded and she took on a determined look.

"Well, you look nothing like him but you certainly have the kindness that man does. Thank you again," she thanked as she closed the door. I walked back up to the pack to find Embry and Paul literally rolling around in the dirt, clutching their stomachs with tears of laughter streaming from their eyes.

"What's so funny?" I demanded, putting my hands on my hips.

"Yo-you!" screeched Embry, pointing at me. "I-I've never see-seen you act like that!" he burst into laughter.

"It was hilarious!" agreed Paul. I scowled and hmphed.

"Well, you know what'll be hilarious? When I whip your asses in a fight," I said rudely. They both sat up and stopped laughing immediately but still hiccuping occasionally. "Because if I recall, I was the one who smelled the vampire first Embry," I bragged. Sam chortled with laughter before patting me on the back. 

"Let's go have dinner guys," he smiled. We all shifted and ran the whole way to Emily's. I was first at the table because I didn't have to put more clothes on and had helped Emily set the table. The table was laden with three racks of Ribs drizzled in barbeque sauce, 10 ears of corn, a pan of mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese.

"Wow, Emily! This looks amazing!" I exclaimed as Sam came in and kissed her on the cheek. Everyone took their places at the table, marveling at all the food before digging it in. Jared almost stabbed my hand with a fork claiming 'He thought it was food' while I kicked him underneath the table.

Sam relayed today's events to Emily while she gasped in horror at some parts and at others gave the hero of the moment a squeeze on the arm.  Tonight was good.