I Have Lunch With the Cullens

Biology was havoc. I already knew all the stuff and it was incredibly brain-killing boring. The rest of the day went by boring until lunch. I'd packed it in a paper bag this morning before Bella'd even gotten up. And, I'd packed an extra sandwich for Bella because I knew she'd forget her lunch like usual back when we were children.

Speaking of Bella, she met me by my locker to introduce me to her boyfriend's family. Cue gag. 

"Come on Caroline," mumbled Bella in her usual manner.

"You are aware I have a nickname?" I asked. "I mean like, Caroline is such a mouthful," I rolled my eyes.

"Cal, sorry." said Bella. I followed behind her, more than slightly embarrassed and self-conscious of all the people staring at me, the new girl.

I've been told I put off a 'Don't Mess With Me Or I'll Murder You At Night With A Plastic Knife' vibe before. Especially by my dad, Charlie. He says it's slightly disturbing since he's a trained cop with a rifle in the house and a teenager like me scares him slightly. I was also very. . .offputting as Renee had put it. The day before I started seventh grade, she had been worried I wouldn't make friends. . .yeah. So, she asked me questions and told me to respond like myself.

"So what do you say if someone asks your favorite color?"

"I would turn to them and say, What is this, the third grade?"

"Alright. . .You don't need to be so. . .old sounding. Use some conjunctions in your sentences sweetheart!"

". . ."

"Alright. If someone asks to be your friend?"

"Bug off. This isn't the first grade. Grow up."

". . .I'm sure you're going to make plenty of friends! And if a cute boy comes up to you and starts talking to you?"

"Knee him in the gro-"

"Caroline!"

"Crown jewels."

Sigh.

I sat next to Bella in the last empty seat, surrounded by beautiful people. Great, was Bella trying to say that I needed to wear makeup or something? Try to look more like these people? I watched as Bella dug through her backpack, trying to find her lunch.

"Dang it, I forget my lunch!" she said, sounding exasperated. I merely opened my paper bag and took out an extra sandwich with a blank look. She stared at me for a second, then took it. I didn't miss how all her friends were just staring at me, weirding me out and more anxious.

"How'd you know I'd forget?" she asked me. I blushed slightly, not liking the attention. I looked down at the table and shrugged slightly.

"I've known you since ever. It would be weird for you not to forget your lunch," I mumbled. Bella seemed slightly oblivious to my sudden shyness but unwrapped her sandwich. I noticed that the Cullen kids all had school lunches, but none were actually eating them. I wasn't going to judge though, I'd gone through a time where I barely ate anything. . .

"Um, right. Caroline, this is Alice, Emmet, Rosalie, and Jasper," said Bella, introducing me.

"We've met before," said Jasper's familiar voice, "Just never speaking English," he said humor fully. A small smile twitched on my face as I began to eat to my pickle, mayo, extra-mustard, cheddar cheese, and turkey sandwich, just the way I liked it. 

"You have Spanish together?" asked Rosalie, who was absolutely beautiful. 

"Yeah, we were paired together for full conversational Spanish," I said, in a quieter voice than usual. Rosalie nodded slightly, showing she'd heard. The Cullens all had goldish eyes, making me curious but then again I had heterochromia eyes. One blue and the other just a lighter green, barely noticeable.

"And Caroline here is fluent in Spanish," complimented Jasper, making me laugh once and blush.

"Really?" said the huge man. "She may be great in that but in an arm-wrestling contest she'd have no chance against me!" he boasted. I took in his massive arms and agreed silently. I gathered a little courage and met his eyes with a superstitial look.

"Well yes. That would appear to be correct since I happen to have spaghetti noodle arms and you appear to have the opposite." I said cheekily as if I was talking to a ten-year-old. His brain seemed to have trouble comprehending what I just said before grinning.

"I like you!" he said boisterously. Making me grin a little. 

"I've got track after this, what about you?" I asked Bella, looking at her.

"Math then P.E." she said. "And since when do you enjoy running when not required?" she asked, perplexed. I half-shrugged and laughed lightly.

"Dunno. It was just a thing some. . .friends and I did back in Mexico," I said vaguely. "Well, I've got to go." I said. Lunch was almost up and I still needed to change into my track uniform.

"Alright! It was fun having lunch with you!" said Alice, smiling and giving me a hug. I was slightly uncomfortable, having just met her but not wanting to embarrass myself accepted it stiffly, my arms like boards at my sides. And that was my first meeting of the Cullen family, and the weirdness only escalated from there.