I Am 'A Champion In The Making'

Track was my last class. I had done Track in Mexico too with the unwavering heat so this would be a piece of cake. Thanks to the constant exercise I had what Renee called 'curves.' I guess I looked alright. I mean, I wasn't ugly at all but maybe just on the brink of pretty? I don't know and I don't really care.

I slipped on the uniform the school had provided us with. I didn't like the shirt particularly though. It revealed the tiny crescent top of my scar that was barely visible unless you knew where to look. The thin scar stretched from the right of the base of my neck and snaked around to my third rib. It seemed to glitter almost in the light but I hated it. It was a reminder of . . .

I also had a small tiny scar next to my left eye below my eyebrow. I'd gotten that one in the attack- Don't think about that Caroline! I mentally scolded myself.

I happened to meet some of the other girls in the locker room and they seemed to be real works of art.

"You know this is the eleventh grade track class, right?" said a girl with long, sleek, blond hair. Ugh, hate her already. She was a total diva, you could see with the way she flicked her hair over shoulder with the overdramatic wide eyes in a look of disbelief.

"Yes, I am aware," I said, closing my faded red locker and turning to leave the locker room.

"Then why are you still here?" she demanded, one hand on her hip. I resisted the powerful urge to chuck one of the plastic water bottles on a cabinet next to me. I turned to her like I was talking to a five-year-old.

"Because that's what grade I'm in. This is eleventh grade track, right?" I mocked, raising my eyebrows and putting a hand on my hip like her. 'Diva' was taken aback and looked offended at my being for existence. I flashed her a condescending smile and left the room which had become silet in my wake.

First day of high school in eleventh grade, only fifteen, and I'd already made an enemy. Bella would be overjoyed.

I0I0I0II0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0

"Alright! This is our new student. . .what's your name?" asked the coach, leaning over in the drizzling rain. It was barely raining which seemed to be exceedingly rare for Forks.

"Caroline. . .Bella's sister," I said since this seemed to be the only way anyone remembered me, as 'Bella's sister.'

"Right, right. All the athleticism must've gotten passed down to you," she teased lightly. Ah, she must have Bella in her other p.e class. I nearly shuddered at the thought of clumsy, uncoordinated Bella in a p.e class. It was a very frightful thought.

"Alright, we're going to time your one lap runs to see how much you've grown since the beginning of school." drawled out the teacher. "Warm up, stretch. We'll start in a minute. Jessica, you're up first," the teacher beckoned at the girl who had been rude to me earlier who, speaking of the devil, came trotting up to me.

"Oh my god! I didn't realize you were Bella's wittle sister!" she squealed, patting me on the head. I gave her an indignant look, was I a dog?! "We totally got off on the wrong foot. It wasn't exactly my fault. . .but who's blaming you?! It must be so stressful on your first day of school in eleventh grade! You're like a kid genius or something!" she said, flapping her hands around in a way that made me thing of a duck.

"I'm so flattered. Thank you." I said flatly. She then galloped back to her friends while everyone resumed stretching. I loved school soooo much already. Only 107 days left.

I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I0I

"Ready, set, go!" bellowed the coach, holding a stopwatch. I took off before the last word had settled in the air. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I reminded myself. The light rain splattered against my face as the soft padding of my shoes hit the track.

Ever since I was little, I'd noticed an odd thing. I had a nearly silent tread, hardly ever making a sound unless I stepped on the third from the top loose stair in Charlie's house.

"39 seconds!" said coach Huffs in an astonished voice. I'd never gotten that good of a score! Ever! Coach Huffs turned to the other blubbering girls over my score. "I don't know what training program they have in Mexico, but that is a champion in the making!" she crowed while reprimanding the other girls in a way.

I panted heavily, catching a bead of sweat. The rain was a very pleasant relief as it cooled me down after my fastest run yet. I grabbed my waterbottle and started to chug it when I noticed someone standing under the cover of a building lip from the rain.

I squinted my eyes, staring into the shadowed face to see it staring back at me. Oh my god, it was Bella's boyfriend, Edward. What was he doing at my track class staring at me with his arms crossed? I hadn't murdered anyone or you'd think I did with the way he was staring at me like a crime scene. He had been staring at the shimmery scar on my back.

I wasn't going to back down from a challenge as I saw it. I stared back with a stony glare as we had a mini staring contest.

Bella, me and you are going to have a conversation about your weird boyfriend. I told myself. This seemed to further confuse Edward though. His head cocked to the side as if he was hearing something I wasn't but it wasn't clear.

"Mr. Cullen! Can I help you?!" called the coach, having finally noticed the creepy stalker. And where was Bella? I thought that her and Edward were basically attached at the hip! I snickered slightly at the thought and Edward put on a pleasant face as he made his way toward the coach, baring a small slip of paper.

"Hi Coach Huffs. Miss. Jaline sent me from the office to tell you that a massive storm is coming and that you're advised to go inside." Edward said in a sweet, kind, convincing voice. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head when the teacher blushed-BLUSHED! Oh my god! What was wrong with these people?!

"Thank you Mr. Cullen. We'll be along in a moment." she said, twirling her hair like a lovesick teenager. I mentally vomited up my soul and watched it leave my body.

Edward was about to leave when he stopped and turned to Coach Huffs again. "By the way, I saw Caroline's run. It was pretty good. What was the time?" he asked. I narrowed my eyes at the cheeky fellow while he purposely ignored my steely gaze.

"39 seconds," supplied the coach in a girlish voice. Edward nodded, looking victorious before turning to me. "That's a great time Caroline!" he complimented. I didn't return any thanks though and continued my 'I'm watching you bucko' glare. He chuckled before heading back into the building where I guess he'd come from. Why had he been staring at my scar?