I Talk To Billy

I was frozen, in shock, as I watched the scene unfold in front of me.

Jasper was running at Bella and me with murderous rage in his now black eyes. Edward and Carlisle were trying to hold him back. Alice was holding his face gently, trying to soothe him.

"Shh, it's okay Jas. It's just a little. . .blood," said Alice, freezing. She turned to Bella who was looking at her bloodied hand. Carlisle was at her side in a moment, my eyes were wide in horror and confusion. They were the same things that killed Trishton. Suddenly all the stories clicked in my mind.

The tales Billy Black would tell me when I was younger. My grandma told me. Wolves and Vampires were enemies. That was why the woman chased Trishton down that night. Trishton had been a shifter. Oh my god, the revelation shattered my worldview.

I didn't even notice when Carlisle told me I was bleeding. The rest of the Cullens had left the room by now. I looked at Bella and she seemed to realize the look of knowledge on my face.

"He was killed," I said, not forming full sentences.

"Who?" asked Bella.

"Trishton. He was killed by them, vampires," I said, my voice coming out breathy. "Oh my god, I didn't believe him," I clutched my head, a massive pain attacking my head. I thought Trishton had been joking when he asked me over to his house to 'explain everything.' When Elijah, an older boy who Trishton hung out with all the time had laughed and told Trishton to let it be and I would believe him sooner or later I didn't believe him.

*****

"Hey, Caroline. Will you come over tonight? I have something I need to tell you," said Trishton over the phone. I could hear a burst of laughter from the background. Probably one of the boys he hung out with and the fact my best friend sounded like he was gonna wet himself he was so nervous.

"Was that Liam?" I asked amusedly.

"Yeah," said Trishton pained.

"Tell him if he doesn't get his nose out of our business I'll cut it off and he'll look like Voldemort," I teased. I heard another guffaw of laughter with more voices this time. "God, are you having a party at Elijah's house?"

"No," laughed Trishton. "But I'll see you tonight, at my place,"

"Alright, see you then,"

He had been right all along.

"Caroline, we've been friends for a long time. . ." started Trishton nervously. Elijah, Trishton, and I were all sitting in various armchairs and sofas in a half-circle in Trishton's living room. His parents were at work, they were Real Estate Agents.

"Yeah. . ." I said, perturbed.

"Well uh, you know back in July how I disappeared and came back but I ignored you," he stuttered a bit nervously. This was so unlike the usually confident, cheeky boy I knew.

"Yes," I said.

"Well, -I swear I'm not on Steroids-" he added quickly. "But the real reason I looked like this suddenly was because-"

"Because?" I asked. Trishton cast a glance at Elijah -who was like a mentor to him- who gave him a nod.

"I'm a wolf," he said quickly. I stared at him before bursting out in laughter.

"That's funny. What? Did you and all the boys rig this up?" I asked him, smirking.

"See? I told you she wouldn't believe me," groaned Trishton to Elijah whose shoulders were shaking with silent laughter.