Chapter 4 - Last Of The Big Time Spenders

••••
Well if money makes a rich man
Then I might never make the grade
I'll be a small time operator
If I just get the landlord paid
But if time is an indication
Of the wealth that I never knew
Then I'm the last
Of the big time spenders
'Cause I've been spending time on you
••••

Saturday, November 28, 1970
Dear Diary,

I've gotten really bad at keeping up with writing in here. It's been almost 4 months since my last entry, but I've just been so incredibly busy. I'm 19 now, and a lot has happened since I last wrote.

I helped Bill move out of his mom's house a few weeks ago. He and Jon, the drummer from the Hassles, have formed a new band together and they're calling themselves Attila. They've been playing a ton of gigs and have earned enough to afford to move in together. The two of them, plus Jon's wife, are renting a place and they've dubbed it the Rock House - partly because of their music, but mostly because the outside of the house is covered in these huge stones.

It hasn't been entirely intentional, but I've ended up spending more nights there than I have at my parents' house. It sure beats having to deal with my dad, and Sandy lives about 5 minutes away so she's been picking me up for work in the mornings.

Even though we've only been together 5 months, things with Bill have gotten kinda serious. It makes me a little nervous sometimes. With other guys I was always more interested in the "fun" than the "feelings," but I've never felt this way about anyone before. Last month he told me he loves me and I told him I love him too. The sex is amazing and I feel silly saying it, but I can't get enough of him.

xoxo,
Kat

****

"Baby, your alarm's going off. You gotta get up."

Billy's voice gently pulled me from my sleep only to be replaced with the piercing shriek of the alarm clock.

"You gotta get up," he repeated softly.

I felt him reach over me to silence the offending noise. When I finally opened my eyes Billy was laying on his side facing me. He looked barely awake himself, but he smiled and leaned in to kiss me.

"You make it really hard to get out of bed."

"Then don't." Billy pulled me closer, pressing his body into mine. "Stay in bed with me all day."

I could feel his hardness against my thigh. "Mmmm. Didn't we just fuck each other's brains out before we fell asleep?"

"We don't have to sneak around my mom's house while she's at work or cram ourselves in the back of your dad's car anymore," Billy replied between kisses. "I'm taking full advantage of it."

"You'll make me late for work," I feigned protest and spread my legs to welcome him inside me.

"Don't worry..."

Billy was true to his word. The sex was fast and fierce, yet tender and satisfying. We finished just as the early morning sun was beginning to peek through the curtains, and when I finally forced myself out of bed, Billy rolled over and was back asleep before I even made it out of the bedroom.

Over the past two weeks, the living room of the Rock House had become the catch-all for the various unopened or unsorted moving boxes, and I snaked my way around the maze of cartons and containers. Adding to the clutter was Jon's drum set and Billy's Hammond organ which sat smack in the center of the room.