Chapter 36 - Two Thousand Years

••••
Time is relentless
Only true love perseveres
It's been a long time
And now I'm with you
After two thousand years
This is our moment
Here at the crossroads of time
We hope our children
Carry our dreams down the line
••••

Friday, September 14, 1979
Dear Diary,

I think I might just lose my mind here. While I appreciate everyone's concern, the amount of people hovering over me is getting ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Bill...

Ever since getting home from John's wedding last week I've spent every single day in bed. It's completely unnecessary, and even my doctor said I was fine to go about my days as long I stay hydrated, but Bill has it set in his mind that I need to be on bed rest. My due date is a week away and I'm hoping the baby is punctual because I can't keep this up much longer without going insane.

xoxo,
Kat

****

The house was quiet as I made my way down the hall towards the kitchen, so I was startled to see our assistant, Carol, sorting mail at the kitchen table when I walked in.

"Kathleen, what are you doing up? You should be in bed!" Carol put down the envelope she was holding and stood up. "Do you need something? I'll get it for you."

I let out a small sigh. "What I need is for everyone to just let me go about my day. I'm fine." I walked to the sink and grabbed a glass from the overhead cabinet.

"Kathleen..." Carol looked at me in frustration.

"Let me guess..." I filled my glass with water and turned to face her. "Bill has you on 'Kathleen Patrol' today, doesn't he?"

Billy was still in the midst of recording his latest album. Since returning home from the wedding there had been someone different in our house everyday, conveniently only while he was in the studio, and all of them had been very adamant that I stay in bed.

Carol glanced at the floor with a guilty smile. "I have no idea what you're talking about..."

I couldn't help but laugh. This entire situation was so ridiculous. "Carol, you have kids. I'm sure you remember how frustrating those last weeks of pregnancy are. I know Bill probably told you I'm made of glass, but my doctor has said I'm perfectly fine to be up and about."

As if on cue I heard the front door open and then Billy's voice humming a tune as he walked through the foyer and into the kitchen.

"Kat, what are you doing?" He looked at me incredulously as I stood beside the sink. "Why aren't you laying down?"

"Because I don't want to lay down."

Billy moved towards me, and Carol took that opportunity to make her exit. She gave me a quick wink and mouthed 'good luck' as she left.

"Baby, you can't risk another episode like before. You need to go lay down."

I rolled my eyes. "That episode was because I didn't drink enough. What does it look like I'm doing right now?" I held up my glass and took a sip.