Chapter 27 - The Stranger

••••
Well we all fall in love
But we disregard the danger
Though we share so many secrets
There are some we never tell
Why were you so surprised
That you never saw the stranger
Did you ever let your lover see
The stranger in yourself
••••

Wednesday, August 16, 1978
Dear Diary,

History always repeats itself. That's a lesson for the ages, and one I apparently didn't learn.

xoxo,
Kat

****

"This is the third thing."

"The third what?" Sandy looked at me in confusion.

"Bad things come in threes, right? The first one was losing the baby, next was my mom dying... Now this." I let out a dejected sigh and leaned back into the couch. "He's been so distant lately. I should have seen it coming."

"Kat..."

I looked at Sandy and let out another sigh. We had just arrived back at the apartment and my mind was swimming. I was numb, hurt, angry, confused, and terrified all at once. Just then the front door swung open and Billy stormed in. He had his motorcycle helmet in one hand and a frazzled look on his face.

"Kat," he blurted, "you have to listen to me! I don't know what—"

"No, you have to listen!" I stood up and took a step towards him, anger suddenly spilling from within me. "I told you to leave me the hell alone!"

Billy ran a hand through his hair. "Baby, I've got an interview and a photoshoot in less than an hour, and then I'm due in the studio." He glanced at his watch. "I don't even have time to be here right now, but you have to listen to me! Whatever you think is happening isn't happening!"

I stared at him incredulously. I couldn't believe he was still trying to peddle his lies.

"I know what it probably looks like, but—"

"Just get out," I said flatly.

"Kat—"

"Get out, Bill!" I pointed to the door.

"I'm not letting this happen again, Kathleen! I almost lost you once. I'm not going through that again!"

"Well then maybe you should have learned your lesson the first time and stayed the fuck away from Elizabeth!" I pointed at the door again. "Get out! And I swear to God, if you show up here again I'll find somewhere else to go that you can't find me."

Billy let out a dejected sigh. "Baby, I'm sorry. I'm getting the money back..."

"Get out, Bill!"

He looked at me helplessly, and the pain in his eyes reminded me again of that moment on the picnic table so long ago. Billy took a deep breath and turned around, walking slowly to the door. When he reached it, he looked back at me. "I love you, Kathleen. Please don't leave me..."

I felt an ocean of tears welling in my eyes and I spun around so that he wouldn't see me cry. Sandy quickly walked over and wrapped a supportive arm around me as I heard Billy finally leave.

****

A week passed since I'd kicked Billy out of the apartment. Thankfully he hadn't returned, but for the first few nights he'd called incessantly - multiple times in a row until the wee hours of the morning. I'd ended up unplugging the bedroom phone in order to get any sleep, although my mind wasn't letting me do much of that lately.