Chapter 9 - Stop In Nevada

••••
And now she's headin' out to California
And she doesn't know what's comin'
But she's sure
Of what she's leaving behind
And she left a little letter
Said she's gonna make a stop in Nevada
Goodbye
Goodbye
••••

Wednesday, April 5, 1972
Dear Diary,

I've got some pretty big decisions to make and I feel like no matter what I decide, I'm losing something either way...

Bill's been gone for the past 6 months. We had been working on things - kinda letting our friendship grow and seeing where it took us - but right when I was starting to feel open to things again, he had to leave. And I didn't even have the nerve to tell him how I was feeling before he left.

He's been all over the place promoting his album. It's called Cold Spring Harbor, and it's really good, but most of the songs are about me or about our breakup. It's a little weird to know there's an entire album out there that people can buy and it's written all about me. There's a couple of songs I honestly can't even listen to because they're just so raw...

But anyway, Bill just got back home yesterday and came to see me at work today. And that brings me back to those decisions I need to make...

xoxo,
Kat

****

"You have plans this weekend?" I glanced over at Sandy as we were unloading dirty dishes off of our trays.

"Yeah, I think Vince and I are gonna go to the drive-in. Do you wanna come? He could bring a friend and we could make it a double date."

"No, I'm sure he doesn't want me tagging along," I laughed. "He's your longest boyfriend since I met you. Just enjoy it."

Sandy squinted. "Don't make excuses. You're gonna have to get back out there into the dating world at some point, you know."

"I'm not making excuses." I replied, placing the last dish into the large cleaning tray. "I just want you to enjoy a good thing while you have it."

Sandy rolled her eyes and followed me into the dining area. "Did you want a ride? I still gotta roll silverware before I can leave."

"Nah, it's gorgeous out. I'll walk."

"Okay, but just think about the movie. A double date would be fun!"

I nodded and headed for the exit. A double date sounded awkward at best. Sandy and Vince seemed really great for each other, but I had no desire to be set up with a random guy. Besides, Billy was supposed to be back in town, and I was hoping to see him. When I got outside it seemed that Billy had the same idea because he was leaned up against a car in the parking lot, apparently waiting for me.

"Need a ride?"

"What are you doing here?" I smiled. "Did your mom get a new car?"

"Nope, it's mine."

"Come on..."

"No seriously, it's mine." Billy pulled out a key from his pocket and climbed in the driver's seat. A few seconds later the car engine roared to life. "Wanna go for a spin?"

I was a little skeptical, but I climbed into the front seat and closed the door behind me. Billy pulled out of the parking lot, but instead of turning down the street towards my parents' house, he kept going straight.