Chapter 15 - Say Goodbye To Hollywood

••••
Moving on is a chance that you take
Every time you try to stay together
Say a word out of line
And you find that the friends
You had are gone forever
So many faces in and out of my life
Some will last
Some will just be now and then
Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes
I'm afraid it's time for goodbye again
Say goodbye to Hollywood
Say goodbye my baby
••••

Tuesday, June 17, 1975
Dear Diary,

Mrs. Joel
Mrs. Kathleen Joel
Kathleen Josephine Morrison Joel

I'm in Vegas and I'm getting married today! Am I insane? Am I utterly and completely out of my mind? We spent this past weekend celebrating Sandy and Vince's wedding in New York, and when it was time to head back to L.A, Billy and I made a last minute change of plans.

His proposal came as such a surprise, and I have to laugh when I compare Sandy's story to mine. Hers was an intricately planned out ordeal involving restaurant chefs and public audiences. Mine was an impromptu moment, done quietly without anyone else even noticing. And both were absolutely perfect for each of us.

Bill and I still haven't told anyone. Part of me really wanted to tell Sandy, but there was no way I was going to upstage her wedding night, and she and Vince are off on their Honeymoon in Paris now.

Vegas sounded like a perfect idea when Bill suggested it. We were sitting in the airport waiting to board our plane back home when he had the idea of changing our tickets. So in a matter of minutes we went from being Los Angeles bound to Las Vegas bound.

So here I sit in a flashy Vegas hotel room with a glass of champagne in my hand and the knowledge that in a few short hours I will be Bill's wife.

And I simply couldn't be happier.

xoxo,
Kat Joel

****

The red velvet bench cushions in the vestibule of the chapel were well worn, and the mahogany paneling on the walls made the room seem smaller than it was. Billy and I sat silently as we waited, our fingers intertwined in each other's. We had arrived in Las Vegas four hours ago, booked a hotel on the Strip, and signed up for a time slot in the adjoining chapel.

"Are you sure this is still what you want?"

I nodded. "Are you?"

Billy smiled and returned my nod. We had opted for the most basic of the wedding packages and purchased simple matching gold wedding bands from the chapel store. Neither one of us saw the point of pomp and circumstance, especially in a setting with no one to see it. I was also still mulling over the thought of my parents. Even though our relationship was nearly nonexistent, I knew my mom would be heartbroken if I'd had a more elaborate ceremony that she wasn't a part of.

"William and Kathleen?"

We both looked up simultaneously. A man in a powder blue leisure suit stood a few feet away and he guided us into the inner chamber of the chapel. After a bit of paperwork and a few formalities, the wedding officiant got down to business.

"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Billy's eyes were soft as he looked into mine. "I do."

I've Loved These Days: A Billy Joel Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें