Chapter 37 - I've Loved These Days

••••
Now we take our time so nonchalant
And spend our nights so bon vivant

We dress our days in silken robes
The money comes the money goes
We know it's all a passing phase

We light our lamps for atmosphere
And hang our hopes on chandeliers

We're going wrong
We're gaining weight
We're sleeping long and far too late
And so it's time to change our ways

But I've loved these days

Now as we indulge in things refined
We hide our hearts from harder times

A string of pearls a foreign car
Oh we can only go so far
On caviar and cabernet

We drown our doubts
In dry champagne
And soothe our souls
With fine cocaine

I don't know why I even care
We'll get so high and get nowhere
We'll have to change our jaded ways

But I've loved these days

So before we end and then begin
We'll drink a toast to how it's been

A few more hours to be complete
A few more nights on satin sheets
A few more times that I can say
I've loved these days
••••

Thursday, January 3, 1980
Dear Diary,

I think it might finally be time to retire this diary. It's a wonder it's held up this long, but it's seen me through a lot. It's held my secrets, my hopes and dreams, my highs and lows, my love and my heartache.

We rang in the New Year a few days ago - our first one as a family of 3 - and I can't wait to see what 1980 has in store for us. As I sit here and watch little Ray sleep in his bassinet and listen to Bill tinkering on the piano down the hall, I'm reminded of the phrase "the days are long but the years are short." I think that's very fitting. It's been almost 10 years since Bill and I first met. That's a whole lot of days. It seems like a lifetime ago, and yet I can remember it like it was just yesterday.

Yes, the days are long, but the years are short. They weren't always easy, and I'm sure they won't always be easy in the future, but all of our days together have brought us to where we are now, and I have to admit, I've loved these days.

xoxo,
Kat

xoxo,Kat

****

Author's Note

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for reading my story. Writing it has been a labor of love. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed creating it. When I first started writing this I wasn't sure if anyone out there would be interested in a Billy Joel fanfic. There aren't many of them out there. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many views this story has gotten so far, so thank you again! I'd love to know your thoughts and opinions, so feel free to drop a comment below!

Secondly, (and this is more of a personal request than anything) if you haven't done it already please go back and vote on the chapters. Each vote or comment helps to get the story a bit more "publicity" in the eyes of Wattpad and helps it to get more readers.

And with that, it's time to say goodbye. Thank you for traveling this long journey with Kathleen and Billy. Until we meet again... ❤️