CHAPTER 4: THAT'S THE SOUND OF WAR

ahhhh the interview is finally hereeee

buckle in guys its hella fiesty

----------------------------------------------------------------

I watched in near horror as the four boys made their way to the couches, saying their hellos once more before taking a seat across from me. Josh and Jake looked clueless and excited, whereas is Danny looked as angry as ever, and Sam completely blank, emotionless. I felt both conflicted and comforted as the twins were sitting closest to me, but Sam and Danny's glares were undeniable. 

"Okay, you guys ready to get started? It's recorded but it's also live, so if you need anything, get it before we start," I stated, taking a swig from my discrete tequila supply. Jake smirked at me, and I offered a thumbs up in return. They all nodded, grabbing a few waters and whatnot. "Also, NPR is super strict about nepotism and shit, so try not to mention the fact that we know each other. I don't want to get in trouble," I laughed. 

They all nodded once more, so I gave Kacey the signal to start the Livestream. I downed the last two shots from the bottle just as the red light flashed on, and let my bubbly, camera personality take over.

"Good afternoon, everybody! My name is Arabella Ashford and today, we're shooting from the New York famous Gov Ball with multiple special guests throughout the day! Earlier, we got the chance to talk with incredible bands like Tame Impala, MGMT, Arctic Monkeys, and Cage the Elephant, and to conclude our live segment, I'd like to welcome Greta Van Fleet!" I said, a fake smile dawning my previously timid mouth. They all offered a wave, and I noticed that Danny had turned on his camera persona, but Sam stayed stiff and angry, smiling hesitantly at the camera. 

"How are you guys?" I asked, pretending as if I hadn't already encountered them. Josh picked up his microphone, smiling at me.

"I'm great, personally. It's a beautiful day, we ran into an old friend earlier and the mini bar in our dressing room is filled every hour, so I'm feeling good," he laughed, passing the mic down the line. Jake simply agreed with what his brother had said, giving Danny and Sam the mic.

"I'm super pumped for the show, and actually, I think we're all excited to see you, Bella," Danny said, fully knowing what he was doing. Lilli looked at me with panic in her eyes, hoping I would overlook the comment on our knowledge of each other.

"Yeah, it's been almost five years since some of us have seen you, so it's great that your job and ours finally lined up. I guess that's what it takes to see an old friend in this industry," Sam said, malicious intent fully implied. 

I gulped down the lump in my throat, softly laughing.

"I guess so. It is great to see you guys though, and I've got to say, you've all changed so much since the first album came out back in 2017. I mean, Sam and Danny you had hardly even graduated when it dropped and now look at you all!" I said, attempting to move past Sam's attitude and Danny's comment on our relation. They all nodded and laughed, excluding Sam, of course. 

"So, tell me a bit about your musical evolution. Start at the beginning for those who are new to your music," I stated.

After the first few questions, it went pretty smoothly. Sam kept quiet and Danny stayed on topic, the twins still blindly optimistic and ignorant of the tension around them.  

"Where do you get your inspiration for your songs? I mean, Josh you're an amazing lyricist, but those thoughts must come from somewhere," I questioned about ten minutes after the interview had started.

"Yeah, sometimes a song can be written in a minute if all four of us are contributing ideas, which is normally the case, but it depends on the song really," Josh said.