CHAPTER 24: I CAN'T LOSE YOU (AGAIN)

okay i know i do this a lot, but i changed the last little bit of the most recent chapter, so go read that before this chapter if u can!
tw: heavy talk about drugs and addiction
---------------------------------------------

"What the fuck is happening, guys?" I questioned the couple as their stares burned through me. Lilli shifted in place, grabbing Jake's hand as she sighed.

"We have something kind of big to tell you," Jake mumbled.

"Okay, if- if it's about the wedding, I already know," I blurted, my frustration towards the whole situation coming out like word vomit. Lilli's eyes widened in shock, but her expression quickly faltered into anger.

"You know? Since when?" She said as though she was defending herself.

"Since you told Sam," I admitted, "but it's not his fault. I was- I was in the room when you told him."

"You were what ?" She unexpectedly yelled, standing up. Jake grabbed her hand and tried to calm her down, but she didn't.

"Lilli, please. I didn't want to tell you I knew because I knew this was big for you, but I-"

"You spied on me?" She cried, rage taking over her body. I assumed it was just hormones, but I was genuinely terrified of her.

"I didn't mean to, Lilli. Please, calm down. I didn-"

"Jesus, Bella. You fucking spied on me and Sam, and now you're trying to defend yourself?" She continued, sitting down and letting her head fall into her hands.

"Okay, Lilli. After the fight over the tour job, Sam and I hooked up and wanted to keep it a secret so that things weren't weird with everyone, but mainly Josh. When you knocked, my first reaction was to hide, okay? I didn't know you were going to tell him that you had a wedding that you just so happened to keep a secret from your best friend!" I exclaimed, failing to keep calm.

"You- you guys hooked up?" Lilli stammered, her entire demeanor changing. 

"Yeah?"

"Fuck," Jake sighed, looking down. 

"Why does it matter?" I further pressed, trying to figure out what in the fuck was happening.

"Listen, Bel. I didn't come back to tell you about the wedding, okay?" Jake snapped, "Something happened with Sam, and I need your help, okay?"

"You didn't come back to tell me... wait, what happened to Sam? Is he okay?" I said, confusion coursing through me as I tried to comprehend that they weren't even going to tell me about the wedding, plus the dread of whatever happened to Sam.

 "No, he... I-"

"Jake, please. What happened?" I said through Jake's stutters.

"Please don't get mad, okay?" He sighed. Lilli's once angry eyes filled with pity, but I couldn't figure out why.

"That's a terrible way to start a confession, Jacob," I chuckled. He stayed dead serious as he stood up and walked over to me, sitting down next to me.

"Bella, Sam is back with Santana."

My heart dropped.

"What?" I whispered, exploring Jake's eyes while I tried to figure out if he was joking or not.

"He met up with her our second night in California, and based on what I heard through the hotel walls, it wasn't a platonic hang-out." Jake carefully explained as tears gathered in my lashes, threatening to fall onto my cheeks at any moment.

"But.. I- He told me he hated her. Why would he get back with her?"