CHAPTER 9: I PROMISE

i republished the last chapter again, so the ending is different. check it out if you can!
good things between bella and sammy start to happen in this chapter, so no more angry sammy for the next little bit. he's so sweet and it's genuinely really hard to make him be so mean lol
also THAT PICTURE goodness me he's so fine
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning to an eerie silence. Kacey was no longer next to me, and the only sound that could be heard was Pepper scratching at my door. I winced in pain as I sat up, my head pounding and legs sore from the prior nights..... activities. I checked my phone, seeing that it was far past 1 in the afternoon, and walked out of my room. I stepped into the kitchen, putting on the kettle for coffee, and turning around to grab the cereal when I noticed only one body on the couch instead of the two I expected to see. The man on my couch sat on his phone which covered his face, his legs much longer than Jake's, and his hair much fuller.

I let out a small yelp, frightened by the person.

"Hey," he said, putting his phone down, "You're up."

It was Sam.

"What the fuck, Sam? What are you doing here and where the fuck is everyone else," I exclaimed.

"Sorry... I- I didn't mean to scare you. Josh came by to get Jake and invited us, assuming you'd be up. Lilli said you'd had a rough night and that we should let you sleep, so they all went to get coffee," he explained, sticking a cigarette between his lips. 

I walked over, pulling it out of his mouth.

"Not inside," He groaned and I sat down at the end of the couch, suddenly very aware of my pantless state. I grabbed a pillow, covering up.

"Why are you here, then?" I asked.

"Didn't wanna go," he muttered, looking back to his phone.

 I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose in confusion and pain.

"Are you okay?" the brunette asked from the other end of the coach.

"My fucking head hurts."

"Take this," he chuckled, offering out two advils from the bottle next to him.

"Thanks," I murmured. We sat in awkward silence for what felt like forever as he scrolled through his phone and I waited for my friends to return.

"Sam?" I said, looking up at him.

"Mhm?" 

"Tell me honestly, what's going on with you?" I asked.

"Nothing," he stated, emotion lacking from his face.

"Then why are you treating me like this?" I questioned as calmly as I could, really not wanting to fight in my current state, "I... I just don't think you're really this mad over what happened in high school."

"I-" he started, letting out a sigh, "I don't know." 

I tilted my head at him and he looked down, avoiding eye contact. 

"I missed you so much it scared me," he started, meeting my eyes and exploring them, "You were everything to me at one point, and even through all of the relationships I've been in, I've never felt anything like how I felt with you five years ago. I thought I was being stupid, you know? I thought a high school fling shouldn't have that effect on me, but it did. So, when you didn't call or text for years on end, I got mad, and I still am, but that doesn't mean you deserve the shit I did to you."

I sat there, taking in what he had said for maybe a little too long as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I really am. I was so mad when you left, and I think that even as I matured, I never let that bit of high school go."