CHAPTER 22: SAMMY THE SECRET KEEPER

opinions on the new book cover? I saw the pics they posted today and was like ya i have to use that pic of sammy he looks so pretty
tw: none
also wattpad isn't letting me add pics rn so I'm v sorry about the missing sammy pics i miss them
---------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh, uh- I'm not really sure, Lilli. I don't like keeping things from her. You should've seen me when I had to keep the whole 'bringing her on tour' thing a secret," Sam awkwardly chuckled, fully knowing I was still sitting in his towel closet, listening through the wall.

Sam cleared his throat as Lilli anxiously paced back and forth across his bedroom, tension seeping through the thin walls of his bedroom.

"Sam, please. You're the only person I can tell," Lilli said, a near worry adhering to her words. Sam sighed and the bed creaked twice, implying that they had both sat down.

"Okay," Sam agreed, "tell me."

I felt my chest tighten as guilt began to build inside my stomach. I knew I shouldn't be there, but I had no other choice. If I left my hiding spot, Lilli would realize I'd slept with Sam, and then she'd tell Jake, and Jake would tell Danny, and Danny would tell Josh, and then it would all be a disaster of awkward unpleasantries.

Is it all that big of a deal? Not really. Am I being selfish? Maybe a bit, but the whole situation is too far gone for me to let up now.

"Well," Lilli sighed, "Jake and I.... uh- well."

"Lilli, it's fine. Just tell me, okay?" Sam assured. Lilli took a deep breath and stood up, her footsteps slowly trailing to the bathroom.

"Fuck," I thought, silently praying she wouldn't grab a towel. Her steps deterred from the trek towards my hiding spot and she turned on the tap. I looked through the crack to see her filling up a glass with water and anxiously sipping it, trying to procrastinate tell Sam whatever she needed to.

"Lilli, come on. Come sit down and tell me," Sam sighed, equally as worried as I was that she'd find me.

"Jake and I got married," she blurted.

"What?"

"We got married," she repeated. I found my hand covering my mouth in surprise, shocked that she wouldn't tell me or, at the very least, invite me. It was fair to say I was pissed off.

"Jesus, Lilli. When?" Sam pressed, a fit of equal anger coming out with his words.

My mind spun with rage-filled thoughts. I wanted to be happy for them, but why would Lilli not invite me? Why would Jake not invite his brother? It was shitty of both of them.

"Last week," she admitted.

"Okay, and why did none of us know? Why didn't you invite Bel? Do you realize how pissed she's going to be? She's wanted to be in a wedding since her parents split."

He was right; it had always been a weird dream of mine to be a part of a wedding party. I never got to experience any family weddings growing up considering that I didn't talk to my extended family and my parents split up right after they got engaged, so I'd always hoped I'd get to be there with Lilli on her special day. It was dumb, but I talked about it for like, 5 months straight back in high school.

"I know, Sam, I fucking know. It was stupid but-"

"But what? That's your best friend, Lilliana," Sam spat, cutting her off. I heard Lilli sniffle and the silence that followed made it evident that she was crying.

"People were sending death threats, Sam," Lilli cried.

"Wha-"

"Someone got a photo of Jake and me walking in Central Park, and now I'm getting death threats. Some people are even saying they're going to hurt my babies," she sobbed as she began to walk around again.

"God, Lil, I'm sorry," Sam said, his tone suddenly much softer.

"That's why we didn't invite you all to the wedding. It was just my mom, your parents, Jake and me. We didn't want a million people coming so that the news wouldn't get a hold of it, and so that no relatives or anyone posted pictures on Facebook. We didn't want any of the fanbase to find out," She explained, trying to calm herself down.

"I get it, kid. It's okay," Sam comforted, crinkling the blankets underneath him as he stood up.

"Thank you, Sam," Lilli sniffled, her voice muffled as she spoke into Sams' body.

"Of course, Lilli," he replied, swinging his door open. "Hey, you have to tell Bella, though. I know Jake; he'll tell Josh and Josh will tell Bel. It's best she hears it from you, okay?"

"Okay," Lilli sighed, patting Sams back in a brief hug before his door swung closed and the sound of his feet made its way over to me. He pulled open the closet door with his eyes wide, an uncertain look taking over his face. He reached out his hand and helped me up, immediately hugging me the second I was standing.

"I'm sorry, Bel. I didn't know what to do," he sighed into my hair. I pulled back and let my eyes explore his features, trying to figure out how to respond. Not only was he now supposed to be keeping Lillis secret, but he was also keeping mine. If Lilli found out I was eavesdropping, she'd kill me.

"No, Agent Samuel, it's okay. You handled that well," I said like I was some sort of undercover cop, blowing on my finger guns and pretending to put them back in their holster in an attempt to make him laugh. He softly chuckled and ran his hands through his hair, turning around to walk back to his bed. He fell against it with a slight 'oomph,' and patted the spot next to him, inviting me to join him. I did as he requested, carefully crawling into bed and nestling my head on his chest.

"Are you okay? I mean, I know you've wanted to be in a wedding since you were a kid," Sam sighed after a few seconds had passed.

"I'm okay," I chuckled, "It sucks, but it isn't about me. I know how bad Lilli wanted a big wedding, and how bad she wanted me in it too. It's all we talked about when she and Jake were together in high school."

"Yeah, they were always going to end up together, huh?" He murmured, subconsciously playing with my hair.

"I think so. It definitely hasn't been easy for them, but fate has a funny way of showing itself sometimes," I said, looking up and smiling at him.

He smiled back and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, sighing contently as he reached over to turn the light off.

"Yeah, I guess it does."