Sixteen

Charlotte Bartlett

I paced outside the building trying to decide whether to enter it or not.

But I knew there was no other choice.

So I pushed through the revolving doors and made my way through the sleek foyer. As directed I found the private elevator and grabbed the key from my purse to scan.

"M'am you cannot use that elevator" A pitched voice speaks out from behind me and I turn. The lady looked to be about a hundred years old, but ready to fight me if needed.

"Well, actually I can you see-"

"It's residents only, I think you may be confused" Her voice is snappy and she points over to the regular elevators, "this elevator is for our upper level residents." She scans me in disgust looking up and down.

Some people were ass holes with assumptions, this lady was one of them.

"I'm Charlotte Bartlett, I'm Mr.Crawfords fiancé and our wedding is tomorrow. I believe he owns the buildings biggest space. So I'd watch your words with me and be careful of how you treat others, never know who you may be speaking h with?" I flash a fake smile and swipe the key granting me access.

The elevator door dinged and then opened. I entered quickly as the woman stared at me surprised. But than suddenly she looked annoyed and like the child I am, I flipped her off.

God I shouldn't have done that.

What if Nate gets a call about this? I hated anxiety and especially over something as stupid as this. But I shouldn't have been rude back.

I paced back and forth as the elevator moved up as I felt the panic on my chest. It was unlike me to be so forward or snappy back. But I was hormonal and that's what I'd blame it on.

The doors open to his penthouse and he stood waiting for me. He stared at me with a smirk, but I felt like I was already in trouble.

"If you get a call about my behavior towards a really mean and scary old lady sorry," I mumbled just loud enough for him to hear. But instead of being mad he just started to laugh.

"And what exactly was this behavior, you didn't strip down in the lobby right. Because most of the front desk workers don't love that sort of thing," He teased trying to ease me.

"She was just a bit rude and fair is fair so when they go low, I go lower," He sucked in his lips and stepped towards me.

"Tesoro," his arms wrapped tight his arm around my waist as his free hand ran through my hair, "what did you do?"

"I might've flipped off... the elderly lady," He sighed shaking his head. But then he begins to laugh again, "I promise I'm not here to burgle you in my black leggings and hoodie."

"Oh so you met Margie?" Another woman's voice comes from the stairs and as I look over I'm met with a bottled blonde with brown eyes. Now I was completely lost.

"I promise I won't tattle that you were with each other the night before your wedding," She mused but I was only left more confused.

"Charlotte this is my little sister Jillian," Sister? He had a sister, the pit in my stomach was gone and as a smile formed on her face I felt more relieved.

"Your sister?" My voice comes out with shock but delight and she quickly made her way down the stairs.

"God Nate when you told me she was beautiful you were not kidding. But I don't think beautiful does you Justice" Her hands intertwined with mine for a moment as she looked at me and then enveloped me into a hug.