࿔ Danica ࿔

Danica wakes up early, tired from little sleep having spent the whole night tossing and turning, trying to make sense of what happened.

Sighing, she rolls out of bed, quietly so as not to disturb the three other Hufflepuff girls in her room. She silently changes into fresh clothes and heads to the Owlery before classes.

One month left, she thinks, then no more work, no more magic.

She frowns and looks around the peaceful grounds from the top of the tower.

Back to a life of no magic. How boring. How... normal.

But this is normal: pouring tea without touching the pot; making slippers turn into bunny rabbits.

She misses it every summer. Her father can't understand, he wants her to be a 'normal' child - a muggle.

She can't face that again.

She can't have owls from Remus, and Regulus won't be talking to her anyway. Her brother Jackson has long moved out. He's a wizard but they can't see one another because their father won't allow it.

But what if she didn't go home?

Jackson and Danica send letters occasionally, keeping in touch but also keeping their distance because of what their father says. But what if she gets out? What if she lives with Jackson?

Her owl, Lila, flies onto a perch next to her and she reaches out and gently strokes her chest.

"Hey..." she says quietly. "I've got to write a letter then you can take it to Jackson."

Lila nips her finger gently in response before she gets parchment, a quill and a pot of ink out of her pocket. Quickly she writes a letter.

Jackson,
I hope you are well.
The sun is shining here and I can see the birds in the sky. You would be able to tell me exactly what they are, I'm no use when it comes to things like that. Care of Magical Creatures was always your subject, we both know I am better on a broom.
I am going to be lonely for the rest of this term. My best friend is not talking to me. Regulus of course, not Remus. Remus is like a brother. You know that. He is always here to support me. Never does something he regrets. Never.
I am sorry, I should get to the point of this letter:
I cannot go home. I cannot face dad alone. I need you there with me.
Or maybe I could get out.
Maybe you could be my kind big brother I have known since I was half an hour old.
Maybe I could live with you?
If you would take me, of course.
I understand if you do not want me. It is a big deal, taking your sister in like that, and you are only just starting out in the world. You have no responsibilities, if you take me, you will have me.
I understand if you say no, Jackson.
But I do need you.
So, whichever you decide, I will respect your choice and I hope we can meet up soon.
All my love as always,
Your sister,
Danica xx

She lets the ink dry then carefully rolls the letter up and attaches it to her brown owl's leg with some string. She flaps her wings excitedly.

"Make sure he's okay," Danica says to her and watches her fly out the window into the morning sky.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Danica gets through the day without even looking at Regulus. She just averts her eyes when he gets too close and turns her back on him in the hallways.

It is late by the time she hears a tapping on her window and she scrambles out of bed to let Lila into her dorm. She lands on the back of her chair and holds her leg out.

Danica runs to her and unties it, unrolling the parchment and scanning it quickly. Lila clicks her beak disappointed in the lack of attention.

"Sorry..." Danica picks up a treat off her desk and holds it out to Lila.

Lila nips her finger and flies out the window, not taking the treat.

"Great so you hate me as well?" Danica mutters and takes a better read of the letter, sitting on her bed.

Danica,
I am doing well, thank you.
I am sorry to hear you and Regulus are not speaking. What has happened?
Well, maybe you can tell me when you come to mine for the summer?
Yes, Danica, I would love you to stay with me.
Of course, you cannot spend another day at dads house!
I will pick you up from Kings Cross Station in one month. Maybe by then you and Regulus will be talking again?
I hope you can make up with him.
Or has he hurt you? If he has hurt you he will have me to answer for.
Either way, I will see you soon.
My love,
Jackson.

Danica smiles widely and holds the letter tightly in her hand. A wave of relief washes over her and she finally relaxes and lays down in her bed. A warm feeling radiates from inside her and tiredness finally hits. She closes her eyes, dreaming about the summer: the best she will have in years.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

The next day she wakes up feeling refreshed and ready. But when she goes down to breakfast, Regulus wants to talk to her.

"Danica-" he says but she cuts him off by holding up her hand and turning away. She walks over to her table, ignoring him completely.

She can feel his eyes burn into the back of her head but she glances back and sees Sirius pull him away. She watches them intently.

What are they planning? Danica's mind asks, it's always Sirius planning something.

She sighs and shrugs her shoulders. Who cares? Regulus made a mistake, not her. She should not let him dampen her mood.

But maybe they are both to blame? She leaned in, he leaned in.

But he said he regretted it.

Just friends.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚