༄ Regulus༄

Regulus watches as his girlfriend passes out. He studies her: still in his shirt, now torn in places and grubby; her bare legs and the blood.

The blood.

The letters.

Mudblood.

He feels tears sting his eyes and he kneels beside her.

"Help her-" he whimpers hopelessly, looking up at Euphemia Potter as Fleamont orders the other boys to their bedrooms.

She kneels beside him, a potion vial already in her hand. She carefully pours it over Danica's leg, causing the skin to fizz and wisps of steam rise from the wounds.

Regulus leans over Danica's face and rests his forehead on hers.

"Has Gully saves Miss Danica?" The small house elf appears at his side, looking at Regulus with large, watery eyes.

Regulus looks at him and slowly pulls himself away from Danica.

"Yes," he says quietly and holds a hand out to the elf. "Yes, you've saved her. Thank you, Gully, how will I ever repay you?"

The elf looks up at him and shakes his round head, his ears flapping as he does so, taking his hand and holding his fingers tight.

"Mr Regulus does not needs to repay Gully. It was an honour for Gully to save Miss Danica."

Regulus lets a small smile play across his lips as the magical creature bows and hurries up to the other boys. Then he turns back to Danica and watches as Euphemia works her way up Danica's leg. He takes her hand and holds it tight, crouching over and kissing the ring that's still on her finger.

"I'm so sorry, flower," he whispers.

"Regulus, dear," Euphemia says softly, "could you give me some space, please?"

He doesn't move. He's not letting go of her unless he's forced to.

"Regulus, son," Fleamont stands behind him, putting a hand softly on his shoulder, "let Effie do her work. Sirius is upstairs, go and sit with him, okay?"

He shakes his head, not taking his eyes off Danica's pale face.

"Can't I just stay here?"

Euphemia looks at him then lays a kind hand on the back of his head, leaning down and kissing his forehead. He relaxes at the motherly touch, something he's never had.

"Come on, love," she carefully guides him from his knees to the chair opposite. "Just stay there while I finish sorting her out and then you can sit with her again, okay?"

Regulus nods and sits tensely in the chair as Euphemia bends over, resting her wand on Danica's body and moving it over her, murmuring something unintelligible. He watches her, focusing on steadying his breathing so he doesn't panic.

What happened? He thinks, as Danica's terrified face replays in his eyes: the terror of not knowing who Regulus was then the sudden realisation and having to hold her shaking body up.

Euphemia sits back and looks up at Fleamont, nodding once with solemn eyes.

"Cruciatus," she says quietly but Regulus hears, confirming his worst thoughts.

"No!" He wails and runs to her side again. "No-"

"Shh," Euphemia circles her arms around his shoulders. "She's safe now. Monty let's get her upstairs to bed."

"I'll carry her," Regulus says and moves out of Euphemia's grasp.

Carefully he slides his hands under Danica, lifting her off the sofa. He carries her to his room, feeling how fragile she is. Gently he lays her down.