࿔ Danica ࿔

The train begins to pull away from Kings Cross and Danica waves to Euphemia, Fleamont and Jackson through the window, tucked under Regulus' arm.

"We're gonna be really safe soon," she says, looking into his eyes as she pulls him to a compartment.

She makes Regulus sit first so she can climb onto his lap, allowing room for the others to sit. There's a noticeable gap that everyone sees but no one says anything. The three marauders sit around them, lily leaning on James, and Sirius and Remus cuddled up together opposite her and Regulus. Marlene, Dorcas and Mary find them and sit down, filling the rest of the compartment.

Still, no one says anything about the vacant space.

Danica bites her cheek and try's not to think about it, leaning her head into Regulus' chest, trying to block out the images that are flashing through her mind. Regulus rubs her back and takes her hand, bringing it up to his lips and kissing each finger, twisting the ring that she hasn't removed since he gave it to her. She relaxes slightly at the touch and kisses his chest.

Regulus knows what she is thinking. He always knows and that's how they support each other.

They stay like that the whole journey. No matter how many hours pass, they don't move. They keep their emotions at bay, keep everything fine, steel their faces, and plaster their masks on.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

They arrive at Hogsmeade station and file out with the other students towards the carriages. Danica stops short. They were once pulled by nothing but now creatures of skin and bone stand at the front of each. They have paper-thin wings but with the body of a horse. Their heads are almost reptilian and they stand tall, ready to do their duty.

"Reg," she whispers and clutches his hand and upper arm tightly. "W-what are they?"

"What is what?" Regulus says, looking directly at the creature. "It's just the same as usual, baby," he looks down at her and cups her face. "It's okay, love, you're safe."

She looks at him and then pulls away from his touch to look at the creatures again.

I've gone mad, she thinks and rubs her eyes. Nope, still there...

"Baby," Regulus' voice is full of concern, "are you okay?"

She nods and takes his hand and gets into the carriage, still staring at the creature. They start to move, this time not on their own but with the creatures pulling them up the road to Hogwarts.

"Strange," she whispers in a high voice.

"What is, love?" Regulus asks and kisses her temple.

She shakes her head, "nothing."

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"I can't be on my own," Danica says quietly to Regulus as they hold each other tight. "Reg, please come with me."

He nods, "let me get James' cloak," he whispers and catches Sirius' eye. "Wait here."

Danica watches the brothers have a hushed conversation and Sirius nods and catches James up the stairs. She sees James pass Sirius something silky then Sirius rushes back down the stairs, much to the disgrace of everyone flowing the opposite way. He then passes it to Regulus who walks back over to Danica.

"Okay," he says quietly. "I'm gonna put this on in the cupboard then we can go to your dorm."

Danica nods and walks with him to a quiet area and he slips into a cupboard. The door opens and closes and Danica knows he's standing right next to her.

"Okay," she says, "this is just weird now."

"We don't exactly have a choice, baby," comes Regulus' voice, low and rumbling.

She nods then realises it looks like she's talking to herself and she starts walking towards the Hufflepuff common room.

She opens the door now that the rush has died down and a few students are sitting and catching up, talking in low whispers.

She catches her name.

"...Danica did it..."

"...yeah, killed him..."

"...fucked up..."

They all abruptly stop as she walks in, closing the door behind her, hoping Regulus got in. She bites her cheek and looks at them all.

"The fuck do you want?" She snaps and makes eye contact with anyone who dares to look at her.

No one says anything.

"Thought not," she glares at everyone and storms to the stairs leading to her dorm.

"Fucking assholes," she mutters and walks up the steps and pushes open her door.

"Danica!" Her dorm mate, Emily, says as she was closing her curtains so she rips them back again. "How are you?"

"Alright," she smiles politely, "you?"

"I'm good," she grins and yawns at the same time. "Well, I'm exhausted, good night."

"Night," Danica says and watches her close her curtains.

She walks to her bed and sees her trunk has been delivered to her bedside. She opens it and unpacks her nightwear.

Her bed curtains get pulled back and her bed sinks at the weight of Regulus. She lets the thoughts from the people in the common room slip away and she smiles at him. She looks back at her trunk and inside are some of Regulus' clothes. She smiles more and climbs into bed, pulling the curtains around them. Regulus pulls the cloak off and uses the silencing spell so they can talk.

"Hey," he says and strips his uniform off until he is sitting in his boxers.

"Hey," she says softly and changes into her silk pyjamas.

"Earlier," Regulus says quietly, "you looked like you'd seen a ghost."

She looks down and shifts the sheets so she can wrap them around herself, feeling suddenly cold. Slowly she meets Regulus' eyes. The blue calms her and she's taken by them all over again.

"I- I..." she stammers and Regulus' hand comes up to cup her face. She closes her eyes and leans into his touch. "I saw creatures," she whispers, opening her eyes again and looking at him. "They were weird... reptile horses with wings," she searches Regulus' face to see if she's gone mad.

He slowly nods and rubs her cheek gently.

"It's okay, baby," he leans closer to her, "I'm sure you just imagined it-"

"No Reg! I saw them!" She's sure she did, she's not going mad.

"Hey... hey," he says and pulls her close, laying down so she can lay on his chest. He rubs circles on her back and she relaxes into him. "I'm sure you did see them, love."

She nods and closes her eyes, "I'm so tired," she whispers.

"I am too, baby," Regulus whispers back. "Good night, I love you."

"Good night and I love you too," she mumbles as she drifts off to sleep, the images of the strange creatures imprinted on her eyelids.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚