Chapter 35

'Yare yare' - Peoples thoughts

'Yare yare' - Saikis thoughts

"Yare yare" - People speaking

"Yare yare" - Saiki speaking

"Yare yare" - People speaking in English

~~~~~~~~~~

You buried your face into your pillow; things could not have gone worse tonight. You hated yourself for making things so awkward between you and Kusuo - you tried hiding your stress, but it didn't help that the topic of Arienne for some reason kept arising.

Y/N - 'Idiot. How did I make it so obvious?! Is my sadness that easily detectable?'

You turn over onto your back and stare at the white ceiling of your room. Moments from this evening kept on coming back to haunt you. You even had to leave Kusuo's house early, because you felt so drained and tired within just an hour. All you could think of now is your current damaged relationship; what if Kusuo really does choose Arienne over you?

Y/N - 'Honestly, it almost seems as if he likes being with her more than me.'

You could only blame yourself though, you thought. Maybe if you hadn't been such a downer everything would've been fine. Maybe if you were a little more confident none of this would've happened.

Y/N - 'Maybe if I was more like Arienne.'

You closed your eyes and attempted to go to sleep. Instead, however, the tears you continuously tried to block streamed down your cheeks.

~~~~

Arienne POV

Arienne left her house to make her way to school. Whilst walking, her eyes locked onto a certain psychic; it was Kusuo, who for some reason was walking by himself.

Arienne - 'Doesn't he usually walk with Y/N?'

Arienne grinned a little and quickly sped up to catch up with Kusuo. She tugged on his sleeve to catch his attention.

Arienne - 'This great! That bitch isn't here to ruin anything.'

Kusuo turned around and looked down at Arienne.

Arienne - "Hi Kusuo!"

Kusuo - "...Good morning, Arienne."

Arienne offered him the most gleaming, beautiful smile she could possibly summon.

Arienne - "How are you? I don't usually see you walking by yourself."

Kusuo's face darkens a little. He turns around and begins walking again - he wanted to escape any reminder of his failing relationship. Arienne flinched and attempted to catch up with him.

Arienne - "Are you alright?"

Kusuo - "I am. What makes you think I'm not?"

Arienne - "You... have a slightly mortified expression on your face."

Kusuo - "Perhaps you're a schizophrenic."

Arienne stops walking and holds Kusuo's hand to stop him too. Kusuo sighs and faces her.

Kusuo - "What?"

Arienne - "If things are going wrong, you can always talk to me."

Arienne puts on the most innocent and compassionate look she could muster - her jeweled eyes sparkled as she looked up at Kusuo's pitiful face, and she softly grasped his hand. Kusuo released a sigh of exasperation and gathered enough courage to reveal his predicament.