XXIII

"Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides."

-André Malraux.

that same night/the carriage ride

IT WAS A COUPLE OF HOURS INTO THE JOURNEY AND THE SUN WAS JUST BEGINNING TO SET, a purple-pink haze painting the sky.

It was a beautiful sight, although none of the passengers paused to enjoy it.

So far, everyone had been minding their own business, unusual since Eren couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut, and Hange was borderline crazy. Levi, however, didn't particularly mind. The slow, lazy pace of the wagon and the little lurches he felt under him from the bumps in the road soothed him.

That and he was sitting next to Katerina.

Now, Levi was not a man that ever obsessed over anything, but he found that she was the rare exception.

A part of him hated himself for being so drawn to her, so attached that her mere presence filled him with a deep sense of contentment and peace. They've shared several moments together, ranging from extremely innocent to incredibly dirty, and this was the latter. In their world, they could rarely find the chance to simply sit and enjoy each other's silence.

During the trip, their eyes had met and no words had been exchanged. Those stolen glances and secret smiles- the smiles coming from her- felt almost downright illicit. He couldn't believe he was this sappy, and he hoped that he was the only one that was aware of it.

While what he and Katerina share was something he wanted to hold onto, he didn't need her knowing just how much she affected him. But judging on the way her impossibly dark eyes penetrated his right now, he was sure that idea was in the shit.

Levi held Katerina's stare, taking a second to admire her against the serene background. Her heart-shaped face was fanned by dark soft curls that shone against the sunset. Her long eyelashes nearly kissed her defined cheekbones when she blinked. Her lips- so perfectly pouty- were pink as if she had been running her teeth across them. She was tanner than most here, and the old white scar on her upper lip was striking against the color, the pink scar still fresh on her forehead almost blending in.

Walls, why is she so fucking beautiful?

It'd be easier to resist the temptation if she wasn't. If she were average looking- ugly even- he'd still want to be with her because what they share surpasses the physical, but her beauty seemed like a fucking curse added to make him cave.