XXVI

"I know the feeling of confusion and betrayal. I know the feeling of fearing for my life."

-Jason Reynolds.

where we left off/the betrayal

THE BURST OF LIGHTING and the thundering of the transformation sent the Scouts reeling back, their cloaks billowing in the wind as they tried to shield their eyes from the awesome power that was erupting before them.

Levi's body could only shield Katerina for so long and he was soon blown away due to the full force of two Titans transforming mere centimeters away from them. 

Katerina tried to stay oriented and grabbed her blades, ignoring the little shards of wood that cut at her face and dug her blades as deep as she could in the cracks of the Wall. The blades' grip only lasted for a second and Katerina went flying as well and as her body tumbled against the boxes and other bodies, a memory resurfaced from the corner of her mind.

It had been halfway through their training and Katerina and the kids had followed Reiner and Bertholdt into the forest that bordered the training camp. Katerina wasn't sure what Reiner had wanted to show them all but as they reached the top of the steep mountain, and the trees cleared ahead of them, she sighed in satisfaction at the scene before them.

The two men had led her and the kids to a beautiful clearing that overlooked a flowering lake, illuminated by the only the light of the moon. Katerina had giggled to herself as Bertholdt and the kids raced down the hill, trying to see who would reach the lake first. Katerina hadn't been in the mood to play or frolic, so she settled for sitting on the grass, overlooking the four of them as they ran around enjoying themselves.

Reiner settled next to her, his muscular arm nestled behind her back, barely touching her but teasing his presence.

"You know, he's a really good kid, Devlin," Reiner said, watching as Eren splashed water in Bertholdt's face, only to run away seconds later. "They all are. You raised them well."

"I did my best," Katerina mumbled, subtly inching away from Reiner and his arm. "But, however hard I tried, I could not convince them to not enlist."

"Is that why you enlisted? Because of them?" Reiner questioned, placing an arm on her shoulder, which Katerina quickly brushed off.

"Absolutely," she chuckled, although her laughter lacked any humor. "There's no way by the Walls I would join if it weren't for them."