I

"Humanity was suddenly reminded that day...of the terror of being at their mercy...of the humiliation of being trapped inside a cage."

Have you ever used the phrase, this is literally the worst day of my life

Because I have.

I thought it was the worst day of my life when I accidentally dyed my hair pink and had to sport that hideous color for a week before my mother managed to change it back.

I thought it was the worst day of my life when I forgot my money at the house and had to run all the way back before the meatpacker closed up shop.

I thought it was the worst day of my life when my adoptive one-year-old son fell and scraped his knee, requiring several bandages and lots of cuddles.

I was ignorant and privileged. 

All these minor inconveniences feel heavier when life is easy; when the worst thing I had to worry about was whether or not I'd make it home for dinner. 

I was a fool.

Because none of those were the worst day of my life.

No, the worst day of my life was the day they came.

Before this, my world had been perfect- simple but beautiful. 

My mother, father, brother, son, and I lived in a very quaint house in the Shiganshina District. My parents ran a small market that sold fresh produce and whatever game the hunters brought in. My twin brother, Kato, was a well-respected blacksmith and worked on weapons for the military.

I, on the other hand, took odd jobs here and there to contribute to the household. I did, however, have one gift. 

I could play the piano. 

My family and I had discovered this at a very young age when I happened upon a tattered up piano on the street. It was evident. I was a prodigy. 

I used this talent to my benefit any chance I could. Pianos aren't very common in our district, but my family made it a point to share my talent with everyone. This led to me being requested to travel further into the walls to put on performances.

I was not incredibly famous, but I was in high demand. People would never gather and pay money to solely see me play, but they loved hearing me in the background. Snooty rich inner wallers would request me to play for fancy dinner parties and banquets. Poorer families would invite me to play at birthdays and weddings, not as formal, but of equal importance to me.

I traveled a lot. It was a blessing, however, because this is how I had found my son. While returning from a performance in the Trost district I came upon this tiny frail baby boy. Caleb was only a couple of months old when I found him laying swaddled up in a pile of garbage.