III.ii

"Recognizing power in another does not diminish your own."

-Joss Whedon

where we left off

"HUMANITY'S STRONGEST COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE AFRAID OF ME?" Katerina teased, stoking the fire and taking a step towards him.

In the back of her mind, she wondered why this was so important to her, this petty little fistfight with Captain Levi.

During her training, she had never bothered with trying to show off because she never cared enough. Captain Levi had rubbed her the wrong way, the way he was staring at her with those steely grey eyes like she was some inconvenience, his tone of voice, the way his demeanor was just asking to engage.

Levi wasn't used to being challenged. He had unwillingly and unintentionally built the reputation of Humanity's Strongest. He was promoted to Elite Squad Leader early in his career and his personality left people severely intimidated. 

Staring at Katerina and the determination that shone in her eyes, he knew he couldn't back down from this fight.

He was confident he was going to win.

But so was she.

"Mat," Levi ordered, his voice not showing the anger boiling within him as he pointed toward the other room. "Right now."

They both began moving to the other room, Katerina stretching her arms and cracking her neck while Levi began removing his jacket.

Out of earshot, Shadis leaned over to Erwin and pulled a pile of coins from his pocket. "Five says that mine wins." 

Erwin smiled and rummaged around his pocket, taking out a sock of coins. "Twenty says it's a draw." 

Shadis nodded in agreement with a chuckle and they followed along with the other two.

As she stepped on to the mat, Katerina was confident in her abilities to win this fight. She had fought every cadet in the 104th and she had never lost. She had an advantage no one was prepared for, and that was her acrobatic abilities. She was also patient and reserved, she knew to closely examine her opponent and keep a level head during the fight.

But Levi had also never lost a fight. When Erwin had plucked him from his unfortunate circumstance, he had learned how to fight in the Underground. He possessed moves and abilities that ordinary people couldn't dream of. In the streets, one had to fight dirty or they died.