IX

"As different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire."

- Emily Bronte

the next day

AFTER THE FATEFUL BATTLE OF TROST WAS OVER, the Garrison eliminated the remaining Titans within the city, with the help of the Scout Regiment. 

In all the flurry, two Titans managed to get captured alive for further study by the Scout Regiment. In the eyes of every Trost citizen, it seemed like the long-awaited victory for mankind. But many were lost, Rico's squad, Mitabi's squad, Mitabi, Ian; the thought came and went.

Was it really worth it?

Katerina sat in a tightly cramped room somewhere within the Trost district, military-grade bedding, and furniture surrounding her. 

When she had first woken up, she had assumed someone brought her back to the closest military headquarters, and her suspicions were confirmed by simply looking out the window. 

Laying on the table next to the stuffy bed was a note, informing Katerina of Eren's whereabouts. She instantly wanted to run off and find him but the extent of her injuries had finally caught up with her.

So, she relented and instead worked on getting herself patched up. While she finished threading the sharp needle through the wound on her left arm, she heard a knock.

"What?" Katerina snapped, her eyes not leaving the new suture on her arm. She heard the door open then slam loudly, almost dropping the needle that was still connected to her arm.

"Is that how you answer the door?" 

Katerina gritted her teeth and took in a deep and patient breath as Levi walked carefully around the mess of syringes and antiseptic naps that lay strewn on the floor, disgusted at the blood-stained rags.

"Is that Humanity's Strongest gracing me with his presence?" she spat, not bothering to turn around and finishing up the suture on her arm.

"Erwin sent me," Levi said, gingerly wiping a chair before sitting down across from her. "He wants to see how his prized stallion is doing."

Katerina couldn't avoid interacting with him now as she looked up at him, reaching for another antiseptic rag.

"I'm doing just fine. Leave me alone."