IV

"You always have two choices: your commitment versus your fear."

-Sammy Davis, Jr.

the next day

"KATERINA, THEY'RE COMING!"

Katerina snapped out of her thoughts and looked at Eren. She rolled her eyes playfully at him as he shoved his way excitedly through the crowd so he could have the best view of the Scouts.

When Shadis had told the newly graduated cadets they could spend some time away from the Training Camp to mull over their regiment selection, Katerina hadn't pictured that she and the kids would be stuck in the overcrowded Trost, but their options were limited. 

She had thought that bringing the kids into the city with her would be a good way to spend time together before she inevitably told them of her decision to join the Military Police. She had planned to have a peaceful day with them, taking them to the market and wandering around the city, finally bringing them to a serene fountain she found to tell them of her decision.

She hadn't, however, expected the Survey Corps to be leaving for their expedition so soon which had soured her mood and put a definite hold on her plans.

"Katerina, are you even looking?" Eren yelled, tugging at her arm from his position on top of a few crates.

"Yes, I am. I am just as excited as you," she teased, pulling him by his shoulders to lean his back on her chest. 

She remembered the brief but sweet time when Eren couldn't reach past her shoulders. Now, he was over a foot taller than her and he had to angle his head to the side so she could Katerina could see past him.

"Still as eager as ever to see your heroes, I see." 

Katerina's eyes widened and the hands holding onto Eren tensed. That was a voice she hadn't heard in a long time, five years specifically, and she turned around to come face to face with the man himself. 

Hannes had made his way through the crowd to them and stood tall and somewhat regal in his Garrison uniform. Before she could even blink, Eren and Armin immediately lit up and ran to him, badgering him with stories of their training.

Mikasa slinked her way over to Katerina, tugging on the cuff of her jacket. "Do you think he's still in love with you?"

"Very funny," Katerina deadpanned, looking at the almost nonexistent smirk on the young girl's face. She shook her head and took hold of Mikasa's hand. "Come on, let's say hi."