XVII

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."

- Leo Tolstoy.

the 57th exterior mission part 1/ a few days later

"UM, KAT, DO YOU THINK YOU COULD HELP ME?"

Katerina smiled up at Eren who stood in front of her with the straps of his gears all tangled up. She laughed at the embarrassed flush on his face and waved him over to the crate she sits on.

"Nervous?" she asked when he reached her and she began properly buckling him up. "You never need help putting on your gear."

"It's our first time out there," he said, scratching the back of his neck and cursing when he realized his shirt wasn't buttoned up properly. "Aren't you nervous?"

The day of the 57th Exterior Mission had finally come and of course, she was fucking terrified. Eren was a wreck, they were going to be separated from Armin and Mikasa, they were entering full-on Titan territory, and their fearless Commander was a maniac.

"No," she lied smoothly, gathering both of his hands as she grinned. "I'm not nervous because everything is going to be just fine. They all said this is a routine expedition."

"Sure, routine..." He looked over his shoulder like he was checking for someone before turning back to her. "It's not that I really need you. I mean, I'm grown and all, but..."

"But?"

He chewed on his bottom lip and his grip on her hands was almost painful. "You'll be there the entire time, right?"

"Just try to keep me away," she said. She tugged him until he sat beside her and cradled his face in her hands. "You need to listen to me. I will never leave you, okay? You have me, forever."

His nerves seemed to fade just a bit, and she saw the familiar twinkle in his green eyes that made him look his age. "I love you, Kat."

Walls, she would never get tired of hearing that.

"And I love you more," she whispered back, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. "Now and forever."

"If the two of you are done, do you think we can head out now?"

She rolled her eyes as Levi's annoyingly bored voice rand through the courtyard. The vulnerable, comforting Captain who had tenderly nursed her wounds was nowhere to be found.