Chapter 22

Scott is tearing his room to smithereens, trying to find his phone... and I'm just chilling on his bed, dodging objects that come flying at me every now and again. Personally, I think if he kept his room cleaner, this wouldn't be a problem... but boys will be boys.

"Call it again." he instructs Stiles, who is boredly leaning over the back of Scott's desk chair with his own phone in hand.

"It's not here. Ok, so you lost your phone. Why don't you just get a new one?"

Scott bellyflops on the floor, "I can't afford a new one." then starts to sift through God knows what under his bed, "and I can't do this alone. We have to find Derek."

"Well, A) you're not alone, you have me and Lizzy." Stiles scoffs offendedly, holding his arms out, "and B) didn't you say Derek walked into gunfire? He sounds pretty dead."

"You're forgetting that the last time we thought Derek was 'dead' we made him a wanted fugitive, and he ended up being very much alive." I comment, not even bothering to open my eyes.

I hear Scott go over to his closet and start to rummage through his clothes, "Argent's plan was to use him to get to the alpha. They're not gonna kill him."

"Alright, so then just let them do what they're planning, you know? They use Derek to find Peter, problem solved." Stiles suggests, as a pair of jeans fly across the room, and hit me in the face.

"Jesus Scott, watch where you throw those things... and I swear those better be clean."

Scott completely ignores me and continues talking, "Not if Peter's going after Allison to find Derek!" Stiles and I both roll our eyes and Scott goes on, now digging through the heaps of junk on his desk, "I can't protect her on my own, which means we need to find Derek first- just help me!"

"You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting." Stiles sighs, "You remember that? When he was trying to kill you? After you interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Are you starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here?"

"He wasn't going to kill anyone. And I'm not letting him die."

"Could you at least think about it?" Stiles pleads exasperatedly.

"For me?" I add.

Scott stops moving and his face scrunches up quizzically.

"What?" Stiles asks.

"My mom just got home from work." He explains, listening intently while moving to sit on the edge of his desk.

"Is she ok?"

Scott shakes his head.

"What's she doing?"

"Crying. Leaving a voicemail for Peter..." Scott gets up and sits on the bed next to me, dejectedly.

"Scotty. You can't protect everyone." I rub his back comfortingly.

"I have to."

Poor Scott I think he just needs a little break...

~•~

At school the next day, Scott scares Jackson into making sure Allison is taken care of at the dance, so now he, Stiles and I are watching Jackson and Allison from around a corner as they discuss details about the formal, the former sweating profusely.