Chapter 31

"I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying. We'll get through this. Uh, I know because I love you."

Scott smiles.

"I love you more than— ugggghh!" Stiles groans and cuts himself off from delivering Allison's message.

Sadly, Stiles wasn't the one pouring his heart out and expressing his undying love for my brother, it was Allison.

Stiles and I are just the messengers.

And I refused to say that crap to my own brother.

Bleck.

"Oh my God!" He complains, flailing his arms out, making me chuckle, "I can't. You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate."

"Come on, you're the only people that we can trust." Scott explains, "Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Yes! Ok, message complete. Now, tell me about your boss."

Apparently, Scott went to speak to Deaton about the mini-Godzilla we encountered.

"He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, records of all the things they've hunted, like a book..."

...a bestiary.

Huh... why doesn't Deaton have a bestiary? I mean he seems to have knowledge on lots of supernatural creatures, and I'm sure there's more he knows that we don't know about. Maybe he should just make one.

Stiles claps in recognition, coming to the same conclusion I just had, "He probably means a bestiary."

"What?" Scott questions, then giggles, "I think you mean bestiality."

Why am I not surprised that's what his mind goes to?

I sigh, "Nope, pretty sure he doesn't. A bestiary is like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

"How am I the only one who doesn't know anything about this stuff?"

Possibly, because you're not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box Scott...

And because you don't really listen when we talk about the research we do on things.

"Ok, you're my best friend,"

"and my brother." I add.

"You're a creature of the night."

"It's kind of like a priority of ours."

By now, we've both started waving our hands around.

"First of all, you two need to stop that finishing each other's thoughts thing. It's weird. Second, if we can find that book, and it can tell us what this thing is—"

"And who." Stiles mentions.

"We need that book." All of us say simultaneously.

Stiles and I go back to Allison while Scott goes off somewhere else.

When we tell Allison what we found out, and what we need, she immediately thinks the same thing Scott did.

"I think you mean—" she giggles.

"No, I mean bestiary." Stiles huffs exasperatedly, "And you and Scott, the two of you? I don't know what's going on in your heads." He points at her head.

"Ok, um..." she glances down to her homework then back up to us, "Can you describe this thing?"

"Uh, it's probably like a book— old, worn."

Allison raises her eyebrows, "...like bound in leather."

"Yes."

"I've seen my grandpa carrying around a book like that."