11| Scabby bassa

"Amber?"

Squeezing my eyes shut, I groaned. The thought of ignoring him and sprinting crossed my mind, but before I could do that, he tapped on my shoulder.

"Hey..." I whirled on my heels and came face to face with him. "Conner!"

"What are you doing here?" We asked simultaneously.

He raised his brows at me, but I crossed my arms. "I asked first."

"I'm here for investigation." He eyed the white tank top I wore with a black leather jacket and jeans. "And you?"

"I'm here..." I trailed off to think of a lie.

"A date," Finlay whispered beside them.

He didn't need to whisper. It wasn't like Conner was going to hear him, but I got his point.

"I'm here on a date." I plastered my sweetest smile.

"A date?" He repeated, looking at me skeptically. "You're here..." He gestured towards the club. "On a date."

"Yes... Yes, I am." I bobbed my head, keeping the grin on my face.

"Yesterday you wanted to go out with me and now you're on a date with someone else?"

"What can I say? I'm a serial dater," I smirked. "You lost your chance."

Ha!

Now, who's the boss?!

"Where is your date, then?" He cocked his head.

"He's..." I glimpsed at Finlay beside me who was watching me intensely. "Not here..."

"He stood you up." Now it was his turn to smirk.

F**k the tables turn too fast!

"No... He's late ten minutes and I can't wait for him any longer." Lies rolled right off my tongue.

"Just ten minutes... Have mercy on him." He snorted.

"My time is too precious to waste on someone." I flipped my hair which was in a pony. "I need to get going now."

He opened his mouth, to obviously give me a remark, but someone called him from behind. I peeked over his shoulder and saw two guys waiting for him at the bar entrance with the bouncer, who looked scared as shit.

They must be on his team.

"Unfortunately, I need to go, too. But I'll ask you about your date later." He winked, walking backward.

"Whatever Conner." I rolled my eyes and watched him get inside.

As soon as they went inside the club, I darted towards my car and drove out of there.

"That was close." I cleaned the sweat over my forehead with the back of my hand. "He almost caught us."

Earlier, I was just talking about him with Michael, and here he was. He's getting closer to this case quickly, and it won't take him much time to have his hands on Candice. I have to look for her before they do, or else I won't be able to know about Finlay.

"He likes you," Finlay murmured out of the blue, making me cut my train of thought.

"What?"

"The Agent..." He glanced at me. "He likes you."

"How can you say that?" I glimpsed at him but flickered my eyes back to the road.

"I heard you two talking yesterday at the hospital parking lot about the date." From the corner of my eye, I saw him shrug. "And the way he looked sad when you mentioned you were on a date."