47| Graveyard

Aurora Reed
1964 - 1997
Have faith we'll meet again.

I reread the gravestone, again and again, to make sure I was in the right place. Crouching down, I placed the rose on the gravestone and got back up.

"Hi, Aurora. Allow me to introduce myself." I cleared my throat. "I'm Amber Katz and it will come as a surprise since it's been years, but do you remember the girl who was drowning in a lake and your son saved her life? That's me!" I sheepishly said.

"You must be wondering why am I at your gravestone... First, because I think he might come here to see you." I looked around the graveyard to see it empty and there weren't any flowers on her grave, which gave the idea that Finlay didn't come here yet.

"Then I thought since I'm here I'll talk to you about him," I said, looking back at her gravestone. "I couldn't do it with my parents because they'll think I am a psycho, so I thought of you."

I told her how I met her son at the club till the time he woke up in the hospital.

"I was weak for loving him when I should have stayed professional and investigated his case, but no, I'm drafty." My shoulders slumped. "Every night I lay wide awake on my bed and waited for him to pop out of nowhere. Even my nightmares had stopped since that day, but I wished I had them again. They made me feel closer to him..." I trailed off, finishing my story, and looked at the headstone. "Please don't feel pity for me because that's all I have been doing for the past month."

The warm breeze flew, rustling my pony. It was mid-July, and I was in my hometown in Pennsylvania staring at the guy who ruined me, mother's gravestone.

How pathetic.

"Thank you for listening to my rants. You are a good listener." There was silence for a second and I snorted. "Blame your son for making me talk to his mother's grave. Anyway..." I tucked my hair lock behind my ears. "It was nice meeting you and I know it's your death anniversary today, so happy anniver-" I halted and swallowed my words.

The f**k was I about to congratulate her?!

"Yeah uh... I'll a... I'll leave now." I spun on my heels to dash out of the graveyard but stopped in my mid steps when I saw someone standing behind me.

He's here.

All the breath rushed out of my lungs as someone punched me in the stomach when I saw him standing two feet apart from me. He wore a black and white strip shirt with a maroon bomber jacket and black pants. After seeing him in just a white sweater shirt all the time, this felt different.

And damn, he looks hot.

My eyes darted into his curious ocean-blue ones, who were watching me in confusion. Without wasting another second, I ran up to him and clasped his arms. A loud gasp escaped my lips when I felt firm muscles under my touch.

F**k he is real!

"Uh..." His voice jolted me out of my thoughts and he tilted his head. "Um... I... Uh..."

"Sorry!" I shrieked and let go of his arms in a swift motion as if they burned me. "I-I was just making sure you were real and not a ghost."

"What?" He frowned.

"Um... You know, since it's a graveyard!" I let out a laugh, which came out shrill. "You're not, so I'll just leave."

I circled him with a heated face and was about to sprint away from my embarrassment, but ceased at his voice.

"Wait!" My heart pounded in my chest so loud I was afraid it'll pop out of my chest. "Have we met before? You look familiar."

Our first interaction flashed back in my brain, and I slowly turned around to face him.