38| Sleepover

After thanking Nana for the Cranachan, we visited a few more places, then head back to the Castle, which was around a thirty-minute drive from the city.

When we arrived, it was almost dinnertime, so we strolled to the dining area. I sat in the same seat between Dolina and Blair, with Neil in front of me. Poor Alistair had to sit away from his fiancée, but he didn’t seem to mind it.

It was my second time having dinner with them, but it felt like I knew them for years. They talked about the coming festival and Fergus coming back and everyone was excited.

No one did or said anything unexpected for me to suspect them. My doubt about Neil also dropped after spending the day with him. It left me wondering if maybe I’m wrong in thinking it was someone from the inside. I must be missing something and couldn’t take a chance. When we were done with the dinner, I requested Dolina to let me sleep in Finlay’s room for the night.

Everyone eyed me weirdly, but I took their reactions as normal. Dolina didn’t mind and agreed to it.

So here I was, standing in the middle of Finlay’s room in my PJs and looking around.

I didn’t think this through.

I couldn’t sleep with him on the bed so I moved towards the couch wrapping my hair in a pony.

“What are you doing?” Finlay observed me as he took a seat on the one-seater sofa near the window.

“Sleeping,” I said in a duh tone and placed the cushions together.

“On the couch?” He tilted his head. “Don’t you think it’ll be uncomfortable?”

“It’s huge...” I gestured towards it with my hand. It was twice the size of the couch I had in my house and it wasn’t like I was giant to not fit in.

“But you can sleep on the bed.” I darted my eyes between ghost Finlay to coma Finlay.

“Uh... I don’t think that will be appropriate.”

“It won’t be since I, the owner of the body, am saying so.”

“Please don’t say that again.” I shivered. “It sounds freaking creepy.”

“Just lay there, Amber.” He gave me a lopsided grin. “Engaged people can sleep together.”

“It’s not like we’re sleeping together.” I paused when Finlay raised his brow. “I-I meant by sleeping as in napping.”

“I know.” I wanted to wipe that cocky smirk off his face, but I couldn’t do it.

Huffing, I sauntered towards the bed, but my steps slowed down. Finlay’s body was in the middle of the huge king-size bed. If I lay in the corner, there will be a lot of space between us, so I guess it was alright. Besides, the guy gave me consent.

• • • • •

“Why are you still awake Amber?” Finlay asked after seeing me tossing and turning on the bed for about an hour.

I couldn’t tell him it was because of him. I’ve never slept in a bed with a guy before. I wasn’t a virgin, but I never did sleepovers. And having Finlay even though he was motionless snoozing next to me made my insides twitch.

“To catch the hoodie guy,” A lame attempt to hide my fuzziness.

“After last night, he won’t come here again.”

“We can’t take any chances,” I mumbled and lay on my left side facing Finlay.

He laid straight on his back, and his chest heaved in slow deep breaths. There was a suitable distance between us, so much that another person could easily fit there. Yet I could feel the heat radiating from his body. My eyes wandered from his messy hair to his closed eyes, trailing his nose and cheeks, then went to his lips.