44| Phoenix

Slowly opening my eyes lids, I saw myself in the water's depth. I got used to this type of dream every time I sleep, but it felt different. Instead of the day, it was the night this time. There was darkness everywhere except for the moonlight illuminating a little area.

I couldn't move any part of my body as I float in the water feeling numb like a lifeless body. I couldn't even breathe-

Phoenix...

I heard a voice, and something moved in front of my vision. Gazing up, I saw a body swimming towards me. He looked agonized as he reached me and darted his concerned gaze over my face.

Finlay...

I wanted to reach for him, but I couldn't feel a muscle in my body. He put his hands on either side of my face and caressed my cheeks with his thumbs. My cheeks tingled at that, and he put his forehead over mine.

I'm sorry...

I didn't know who said it because my sanity went blank when he smashed his soft lips firmly on mine.

The next thing I know I was standing in an apartment. Everything around me was blurry as I strolled into the living room. It was clean, unlike mine, and had blue-painted walls. There were a lot of portraits on the walls and shelves. One painting of a firebird caught my eye as I walked from the living room into the bedroom.

I halted at the door frame when I saw a guy sitting on the bed playing with a baby who looked only a few months old. The baby was giggling as the guy made silly faces. Then they paused, and both turned their heads toward me.

"Mama..." The blue-eyed newborn squeezed his hands, calling me towards him.

"Hey! I was teaching him to say dada." The guy pouted and then grinned at me. "Looks like he loves mommy more."

The boy looked exactly like his father, except for his red hair. Something inside me tugged, and I was about to take a step but was stopped by the guy.

"What are you doing here, Phoenix?" He said, and the baby went still. "It's not your time."

What?

"You need to get up." the man whispered, hugging the baby. "Get up Amber."

He chanted that and each time his words felt louder. Someone patted my cheek, and I put a hand on it.

"GET UP AMBER!"

My eyes snapped open and I inhale a long sharp breath then began coughing water out of my lungs.

"Bloody hell, ye scared meh." Someone said as he helped me sit on the grass.

My coughs slowed down and took deep breaths to calm myself. My body was shaking from the cold and the right side of my face felt numb.

"Ere." I felt someone place a jacket over my shoulders. Glancing up, I saw Neil looking at me, concerned. "It'z awright we got them."

That's when everything struck my brain like lightning.

Hoodie guy... Angus... Gun...

Blair and me... Lake... Drowning...

Dream... Finlay... Baby...

Gulping, I looked around to see I was under a tree in the fields of the castle. I heard a woman screaming and twisted my head towards the voice to see some police officers dragging Blair to the van in which Angus was already sitting.

"What the..." I mumbled, leaning my back against the tree.

"Isla told us ye ran away fae the festival an' Blair followed ye. Ah thought of comin' after ye, but when they were announcing the results..."