Chapter 6

What did he mean by that? I had no clue, but for the next four days, he was always distant from me. Only seeing me at breakfast and dinner. If I were hungry in between, I would knock on the door, and the guard would call the kitchen. I couldn't call down there because he said I would call for help even though I didn't know where we were. We had been here five days already, and I was ready to Give up. Derek let me see Riley and Chloe 1 time a day for thirty minutes. And then I was taken back upstairs.

I knew something was wrong with him, though. He was more quiet than usual. He was usually saying rude things to the girls, but for the last two days, he stopped. He barely spoke to anyone. Typical though. I hurt his ego, and he shuts down. Mature. His boss gave him a deadline, too, two months; that's all he had to find a cure for whatever was happening. We still needed to figure out what we were curing. And to be honest, it scared me not knowing.

Today, I was allowed to sit in the library with four guards on me. At least it was a change of scenery. I liked reading some. Only a little, but I would take it to get out of the room. I was tired of watching the sunset every day. I wanted to read or do Something. I was looking forward to finally being able to roam a bigger room.

The library was like any other private home library. It was large, with over 1000 books and a comfy chair in the middle. I grab a book about a girl who falls in love with Demigod. It seemed like a good read at the time. I had never been in love before. I've dated and messed around a few times but have yet to be in love. I had been single for three years. Taking care of my sisters full time. And then it hit me, that's what Derek was talking about. He was right: I worked so hard for my job and home. And the girls moved in; Chloe moved Noah in, and I paid all the bills with my hard-earned money.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my sisters, but they could have helped. Chloe and Riley lived rent-free and ate the food I brought home. And so did Noah. It was ridiculous. I hadn't thought of it before. They depended on me too much. They were adults now. It was time they stood alone. I was always a mother hen. I would always worry about them, but they didn't always need me to care for them. Living in the house I purchased and rent-free, I didn't mind, but not helping pay some of the bills and buying food, I watched a little. I didn't realize how much until he said something. He was right.

I left the library to join the others for dinner. We are in the dining room. Same table positions. Derek barely looked at me. But he was right about what he said about them. Dad didn't give me a dime; he gave it all to them. They had it made. And I was about to call them out. Being kidnapped or not.

"I have something to say," I said, waiting for the shoe to drop. Derek didn't look up.

"Whatever," he said. Riley rolled her eyes. Chloe sighed, placing her hand on her head. Noah and Matthew watched as well.

"Derek was right," I said. They all drop their fork, including Derek. He looks at me, confused and surprised.

"He wasn't lying when he said you all had it made; I didn't see a dime of dads money; I'm exhausted from working overtime and late days and weekends to keep the bills paid and the groceries, and keeping all of you except Matthew fed." I said, "he may be a monster but he's not wrong he just needed to open my eyes to it, you all have it made with me and I'm carrying all of you, and it's heavy."

Riley furrowed her brow. Chloe arched hers, tilting her head sideways. Derek placed his hands together in front of his face. Noah looked at Chloe.

"I'm sorry, I'm just, I'm tired of playing mom all the time. I love you both so much, but I'm just so tired; I want help carrying the weight," I said, standing up, "I want to go to my cell."

Derek motions for one guard this time. Riley and Chloe look at each other, hurt by what I said. I didn't mean to hurt them but I was so tired of the weight I was carrying on my back. It was a lot. And I would always love them no matter what, but I couldn't keep fending for them. The guard escorted me back to the room. I had to keep it a secret, so using the code name cell was a given.

Once I returned to the room, I sighed, sitting on the bed. I couldn't help but cry. The girls would be okay eventually. But I was not okay. Riley should have known something was wrong. She was a psych major. But I hid it well. I was always keeping my feelings pushed down. And that was my problem. I never let anything out like Riley.

It had been close to an hour that I had been sitting on the bed with a pillow in my arms, trying to keep my tears to a minimum. I didn't want to keep crying until my eyes burned, and I became a dry fountain. So I calmed down and walked over to the window, looking out. The sky was dark, but there were stars. And honestly, if we hadn't been kidnapped, I wouldn't have had a chance to look at the stars. It could have been a blessing in disguise.

My mind went back to Derek the day I met him. He had a slight grin, but he turned out so cold. He probably wasn't mean by himself, but under his boss, he was. Talking to him could get him to open his eyes. He could see what he was doing was wrong.  It was wishful thinking. He wouldn't open them.

A knock at the door startled me and confused me. Derek would usually barge in with no sound. But this time, he had knocked, asking to come in. I didn't say anything. I just walked over to the door, keeping it from opening; I pressed myself against it.

"I just want to talk," he said. My heart skipped a beat, but he was a bad guy.

"Go away," I said. I could hear him sigh on the other side.

"Leave us," he said, talking to his guards. I burrowed my brows and listened to him from the door.

"Listen, I know I have been an ass, but your sisters they lean on you because you are stronger than they are, I may have been right, but you're not me."

He was right; I wasn't. It was me. Finally, the truth came out for the first time in years, and I feel relieved that they know the truth. And he could try to sweet talk me all he wanted what I said I wouldn't take back.

"Come on, princess, open the door." I stood there for a moment, debating on whether I should or should give him a mouthful, so I did neither.

"Just go away," I said, crying. He didn't leave, though. I didn't know that.

Derek had felt guilty about what he said. I know he did. But he was right. And that was that. Derek had sat outside of the door, and I didn't want him coming in, so I pulled a small chair That was in the corner and stuck it under the knob so he wouldn't.

In a few minutes I could hear him rattling the door. But it wouldn't open. He was a criminal, but he spoke truth.

"I can get in if I really want Princess."