Chapter 49

Did I say that to him? He didn't answer me. He just drove. Was he serious? Did he think locking me up again was a good idea? Was that seriously on his mind? I thought we were past this. I thought things were different. One hiccup, and we are back to being toxic again. This was a sure sign that everything was going to be crap.

We pulled up at the villa, and I didn't wait until he was parked. I opened my door and jumped out just as he was about to stop. He starts to say my name, but I slam my door. As soon as he opens the door for Faith, she jumps out and runs after me. I hear her come up behind me, and I turn to her. She doesn't care that I'm crying. She's just making sure I'm okay.

I walk into the kitchen and look at the cook. She is finishing my food. I grab it after she ends, grab some water, and head to my room. She had tossed in some ceaser dressing beforehand. I lock the door when I get inside mine and Derek's room. He's not getting the best of me. Not this time. Faith lays on my bed. I don't tell her to move. I sit down at the desk and begin eating. It was delicious. It's the best Caesar salad I've had in a long time.

After finishing, I left my food by the door outside. Derek had knocked several times but never offered to come in. He probably had a key, but to give me privacy was perhaps the most intelligent thing. I hated him at times. He was controlling, and he wanted me treated like some bird in a cage. I wasn't fragile. I tricked that guy, and I made it out. Faith is always with me. It's not like she would let him or anyone kill me.

A few hours pass, and I'm still in the room. I don't want to see anyone. Or be near anyone. But I knew I would eventually have to eat again, so I opened the door but no one was there. And the food is gone. So I know someone had come up to get it. Faith and I go downstairs, where my sisters talk to Noah and Matthew. They must've heard because they rushed over to grab me.

"We are glad you are okay," Riley says. Wow. I'm fine, and I did it on my own.

"I guess he failed to mention I outsmarted the guy and had Faith hold him down," I said. Chloe and Riley look at each other.

"He said you were courageous but just wanted to make sure it never happened again," Chloe says.

"Yeah, by keeping me locked up," I said.

"If you want to be a prisoner, I can do that; otherwise, just do what I ask," I hear him behind me. I look around. He is crossing his arms.

"Well, maybe if you just trusted me, we wouldn't be having this conversation," I say. The girls shake their heads and leave.

"Seriously, it's not about trust, Addison. I can't lose you, and today proves that people still want you dead; maybe you don't care about your life, but I do," he said. I scoff. Oh really.

"Right, let's pretend I care less about my life than you do. Let's do that, and how about the fact that you bought the club to keep me close? I thought we were past this, always controlling," I said. He was confused. I could see it.

"What? I bought it so you would feel better, and maybe you would feel you had purpose or meaning, not because I wanted to keep you close. I could lock you up if I wanted that," he said. There it was.

"Addison-"

"Okay, well, since you know how to ruin a girl's day, how about I make it easy for you," I said, pushing past him.

I find the nearest security guard standing a few feet from the stairs. Derek follows me, but he probably thinks I'm playing with him. I was done playing his game. Reverse psychology would fix him. If it didn't, I couldn't stay. He wanted to treat me like a martyr in his bed. He couldn't control me. This was the end of it. The guard was bulky like Kasey was and African American.