Chapter 20

At this point, I was a crying mess, and my tears fell like raindrops on my cheek. I was feeling the same pain I felt all those years ago. Seeing my 14-year-old sister cry for her dad was unbearable. And it broke me inside. And I tried masking all that pain by telling myself it never happened. But it did, and it was still affecting me.

"Addison, I'm so sorry you had to go through that," Derek said, grabbing my hand. I nod and turn away.

I couldn't help it. The faces I saw when I closed my eyes haunted me. And even though they don't feel that way, I still have that haunting me. Derek came closer, wrapping me in a hug. I fell into him sobbing. Not being able to control it. My chest felt like it was going to burst open, thinking of that night. It was the worst night of my life. But it was also the best because I had my sisters with me.

Derek kept his arms around me, trying to soothe me as I continued to cry gently into him. I finally realize what is going on, and I pull away. He releases me, grabbing my hands. I loved how beautiful he was. And how calm he was in this moment.

"That's over now. You have two of the best sisters in the world, and they love you more than anything, and Riley looks up to you," he said. I nod he was right.

"Yeah, she, she took it harder than anyone; she took Psychology courses while in the academy because her therapist did such an amazing job helping her; she said she wanted to help me by helping other people if she kept people out of trouble it would make my job easier," I laughed. He smiles.

"That sounds like her," he said. I nod.

Derek made my heart jump multiple times. Skipping beats when he smiled. I would give anything if he told me exactly how he felt, not sugarcoating anything. Just being truthful. I would have told him how I felt, but he wouldn't have stayed near me. I was falling for him, and I couldn't help myself.

"You should get some rest; you can take my room if you want," he said. I told my lips, nodding. And then the question comes out.

"Will you come sit with me until I fall asleep," I asked. He pushes himself back.

"Addison, I don't think that's a great idea," he said. I nodded.

"Yeah, being around me never is," I said, getting up. He catches my arm before I can walk away. His hands around my wrist make a sensation go up my body. He had no idea what he was doing to me.

"Wait," he said. I looked at him. He lets me go, standing up. I look up at him.

"Let's go before I change my mind," he said. I walked inside, opening his door. No one was in there, so Wesley must've been upstairs at my door again, which didn't surprise me. I did ask him to sleep by the door, and he had been. He shut the door behind us.

"He's upstairs, Wesley, by my door; he needs to guard while you're here," I said. He sighs and exits the door.

I took a moment to look around. I had missed this room. He was lucky to have had a mom and dad who loved him like they did. Seeing Derek shoot Riley today, he didn't want to, but she liked knowing he wouldn't care to pull the trigger. And she didn't mind the pain either. To her, it was the past too. She hadn't gotten over what happened either, not really. She hid it well, but it haunted her.

He comes back in a few moments. Shutting the door. And he looks at me as I take my robe off. His eyes widen, and he clears his throat as he often does. I look at him and roll my eyes, realizing he's embarrassed. I was in shorts and a tank. It's not my birthday suit.

"It's okay, just pajamas," I said, pulling the covers down. He relaxes as I climb into bed; he climbs on top of the bodies, sitting beside me. I relaxed, knowing I was safe as long as Derek was beside me and Wesley was watching.